Cask and Hand-pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a Youtube clip hand pulling from a keg whilst the vent is open and then they suggest that when you finished your session (if you're not blown out of your tree that is) regass at very low pressure and vent off the oxygen. Has anyone tried this and how does the beer go after being exposed to oxygen for maybe a couple of hours at a time?
Or go one better and just use a bbq lpg reg connected to co2 as a cask breather.

The only reason i can see you would do that is if your pump isnt fitted with a demand valve.

Sorry, post deleted. Just noticed we already discussed it.

Last edited:
well i have decided to go down the budget path and just pulled the trigger on a Valterra RP800 pump.

assembled_2.jpg

there is a local RV supplier on ebay selling them for 60 bucks (75 with postage).
when it comes i will give a run down on it, just need to work out how to attach a sparkler head to it,

something like this,
sparkler-on-pump.jpg
How did this turn out? Any videos of pulling a pint on this?

They work just as well as a conventional beer engine, a long piece of silicone tube to get down to the bottom of a pint glass, for a sparkler just get a tap aerator from Bunnings.
There is a build somewhere on here, if you want one I think I have a spare out in the shed.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/cask-and-hand-pump.78151/page-4
Check out page 2 as well.

How did this turn out? Any videos of pulling a pint on this?
Actually not to bad. No video as i aquired some angrams soon afterwards.

The good thing about these pumps is the spout is removable via the gland. I reckon you could make a really nice gooseneck that would reach the bottom of a glass by bending up some tubing of the same size.

Alternarively as WEAL says just use some tubing.

Last edited:
Over in the UK at the moment and just had my first pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord, what a bloody drop! Managed to down 3 pints over lunch, if I could homebrew anywhere near this I'd be over the moon! But definitely need some kind of hand pump. (BTW was trying to upload a photo but it seems to be a difficult process any pointers anyone?)

If your in the UK you could consider grabbing one to take home. The handle and swan neck are easily removed to fit in lour luggage. They weigh about 7kg and i have picked a few up for around 35 pounds ea.

As for beers there are haps of lovely ones.

Purity mad goose. Church end ipa. Magpie unchained. Byers big cat. Wells bombadeer. Slaughterhouse short and curly. Just to name a few o have enjoyed over the last few days.

Edit: you can add sharps doombar and adnams ghost ship to that list.

Last edited:
If your in the UK you could consider grabbing one to take home. The handle and swan neck are easily removed to fit in lour luggage. They weigh about 7kg and i have picked a few up for around 35 pounds ea.

As for beers there are haps of lovely ones.

Purity mad goose. Church end ipa. Magpie unchained. Byers big cat. Wells bombadeer. Slaughterhouse short and curly. Just to name a few o have enjoyed over the last few days.
You mean grabbing the camping pump?

You mean grabbing the camping pump?
I mean grabbing an angram cq .

I picked up another one this trip along with a couple of hunting scene handles.

Fortinately a bloke was selling some where i was traveling through.

They were good. Look for ones that have been pulled out of pubs by builders. All the ones i have got were perfectly operational. I guess i was lucky. You can test them pretty easy by just pumping water through them and putting your thumb over the outlet with the sparkler unscrewed.

The one i got this year had the added bonus of having a demand valve with it. It was missing a sparkler. Fortinately i had a spare sparkler as i got an extra last year when i was over as it was same price to have 2 delivered as 3.

Unfortunately time and distance can be your enemy. But they do come up reasonably often. You just have to keep your eyes on gumtree uk. Ebay and facebook marketplace.

if I could homebrew anywhere near this I'd be over the moon!
You’ll get there soon enough. At the last Illawarra Brewers Union real ale fest a few weeks ago a couple members mentioned how surprised they had been drinking ale in the UK and finding it no better than what we produce ourselves.

I’m back in the UK at the moment and have to agree. I’m drinking lovely beers, but no better than I get at home and club events. .

Last edited:
Have you ever noticed though how the bubbles sink, I don't know if it is the turbulence that causes them to go down the side of the glass instead of up.
Here are some photos of the cubes in the cool room with a knocked up vent / CO2 injector the $50 beer engine with Bunnings sparkler and how to dispense non carbonated beer.
I also do what Bribie was suggesting when transferring to secondary then to cask (cube) I put a blanket of CO2 in the vessel while transferring the beer.
A beautiful ruby mild.
Cheers

View attachment 68490

View attachment 68491

View attachment 68492

View attachment 68493

View attachment 68494
Looks a nice pour that mate! How did you attach the swan neck silicon tube to the original pump pipe and also how is the aerator attached to the silicon tube as looks like some kind of fitting on the end?

Agree with Sean, when I went to the UK and had a Timothy Taylor through the pump it tasted just like my own standard bitter, which was made not trying to clone a T.T.
But I reckon the hand pump makes all the difference to the experience and the beer. If it was served straight from the cask without the head it definitely loses something IMHO. So when you say homebrew bitter is just as good as say TT, that's homebrew through a pump yeah?

You’ll get there soon enough. At the last Illawarra Brewers Union real ale fest a few weeks ago a couple members mentioned how surprised they had been drinking ale in the UK and finding it no better than what we produce ourselves.

I’m back in the UK at the moment and have to agree. I’m drinking lovely beers, but no better than I get at home and club events. .
Are you drinking beer in the north or south of the UK? Just wondered if in the south they still serve good beer without the all important creamy head?

Are you drinking beer in the north or south of the UK? Just wondered if in the south they still serve good beer without the all important creamy head?
There isn’t really any difference between north and south these days, that’s a thing of the past. Some drinkers like a creamy head some don’t. Malty beers can improve through a sparkler hoppy ones are usually best without.

I have a beer engine at home but don’t often use it, mostly only use it to give my Irish stout a creamy head.

Actually don’t even use it for that lately as I have been using a nitro tap.

Latest posts

Back