Cask Ale From Cornie Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or use one of those CO2 bike pump thingys and give it a quick squirt if the pour got a bit to slow. ....

From my interpretation he is pulling the beer from the gas connection.

Is that right HStB?

Yup- that's it!

I would also like to know how the headspace is being replaced. You could potentially attach a beer disconnect to the liquid post with nothing on the end of it. That would draw O2 in as beer is taken out. As much as that is the way real ale should be, I agree with KoNG that the kegs won't last long!

If drinking the keg over a few days, attaching an open disconnect to the liquid end is the way to go. I only tend to drink a pint or to a day and find that there is generally little need to replace the headspace - but if the pour gets too slow then a quick squirt of CO2 into the liquid disconnect gets it going again.

The pour is pretty rapid which gives a good head as it knocks a fair bit of gas out of the beer - a sort of ******* sparkler effect.

This is probably not how the purists would serve cask ale, but I find it is a big improvement over using the standard cornie keg set up and much better than force carbonation.

cheers&cask beers
HStB

Wasn't suggesting using CO2 to dispence at all - Just to replace the headspace, otherwise it won't pour. You could use air via the beer post if the diptube is angled into the top corner, but it will spoil quite quickly.

Cheers Ross

That's it!
Just watch out for the few mls of beer in the diptube that will remain after you tip the keg on its side - this can run back towards the regulator (from bitter - no pun intended - experience). Run it off before applying the disconnect & gas is safest.
cheers&cask beers
HStB

Back