Cascade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5- Awesome! Use it a lot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4- Really good

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3- All right, but it has flaws

• 2- Not a big fan, I prefer many others

• 1- Eww, why do you guys use this stuff?

• Total voters

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I had a look to see if there was a topic about Cascade, and I couldn't find one in this subforum, which surprised me. So I thought I'll start one. So what are your thoughts on this hop? Best used as bittering, flavour, aroma, or all the way through a hop bill? What hops combine best with it? Some good recipes for it?

Info from here

Pedigree: Open pollination of a Fuggle seedling, itself derived from crosses between Fuggle and the Russian hop Serebrianker.
Maturity: Mid-Season
Yield: 1600 – 2200 kg./ha or 1430 – 1960 lb./ac.
Growth Habit: Good to excellent
Disease/Pest: Susceptibility Not seriously affected by Prunus necrotic ring-spot virus. Good crown and cone resistance to downy mildew, partly tolerant to Verticillium wilt. Prone to insects, especially Aphids.
Pickability/Drying/Baling: Good
Cone-Structure: Compact, medium sized, slightly square-shaped
Lupulin: Moderate amount, yellow color; develops compact balls of Luplin in the cone; unique to Cascade
Aroma: Flowery and citrusy. Can have a grapefruit note.
Alpha Acids: 4.5 – 7.0% w/w
Beta Acids: 4.5 – 7.0% w/w
Co-Humulone: 33 – 40% of alpha acids
Storageability: 48 – 52% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20C
Total Oil: 0.8 – 1.5 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 45 – 60% of whole oil
Humulene: 10 - 16% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 3 - 6% of whole oil
Farnesene: 4 – 8 % of whole oil
General Trade Perception: Aroma variety with well-balanced bittering potential. It is the most popular hop with the craftbrewing industry. Good for dry hopping.
Possible Substitutions: Centennial, Amarillo, to a lesser extent, Columbus
Typical Beer Styles: American-Style Ales, especially Pale Ale, IPA, Porter, Barley wines; Can also be used in Witbier.
Additional Information: Released in 1972 and well-established in US industry. The first commercially accepted American-bred aroma hop.

On the list of "must use hop" but haven't gotten around to it. Got very side tracked with Amarillo

My favourite hop so far, hard to make a mistake with it as i find it very duel purpose just as great for aroma as it is for bittering, also has a nice balanced citrus flavour. An all cascade apa is my house beer atm.

I first started out using Cascade when doing kits. Absolutely love it. Great in combo with Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial and Saaz and have recently mixed it with Styrian Goldings as a flavour addition in a pale ale- still in ferment. Can't get enough of it in my beers.

I first started out using Cascade when doing kits. Absolutely love it. Great in combo with Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial and Saaz and have recently mixed it with Styrian Goldings as a flavour addition in a pale ale- still in ferment. Can't get enough of it in my beers.

+1!

I also found it goes well with amarillo and simcoe dunno about the others yet. let us know how the PA turns out!

there will always be a place in my hop freezer for cascade.

So what are your thoughts on this hop?

What do you say to this question?

It is to the US what EKG is to the UK, or Saaz to CZ. The defining American hop taste.

hey jyo which would you say works best with cascade out of the few you mentioned? i love little creatures pale ale and all it has in it is cascade. some at start of boil then 20 min in then 5 to go at the end then dry hop after boil. what would work good to tweak the flavor a bit?

It's also worth getting into some Tasmanian Cascade if you can find some. They're different, but good.

hey jyo which would you say works best with cascade out of the few you mentioned? i love little creatures pale ale and all it has in it is cascade. some at start of boil then 20 min in then 5 to go at the end then dry hop after boil. what would work good to tweak the flavor a bit?

Personally, in APA's I love Cascade for my first 2 additions, (60 min and 30 min) and I like to finsh off with a combo of Cascade and either Amarillo, Simcoe or Galaxy :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: (which I forgot to mention earlier). Chinook is a must (IMO) as a finisher (last 15mins or flameout) if you want something like LCPA. Others may chime in and give you some extra tips.

I meant to update on the PA with Styrian. I really only used it up because it had been in the freezer for a couple of years and I didn't want to waste it. I bittered with 35 grams of Styrian for 60mins, and the other additions were Cascade. Usual simple house APA grain bill: 4.5 kg galaxy malt, 300 crystal, 300 carapils.... It has a really smooth and rounded bitterness, I am shit at describing flavours :( . A combination that I will try again.

really love this hop to. I have used it in multiple beers. usually as a flavoring hop, and mixed i with nelson sav make's an awesome beer!

cheers

Little Creatures IPA is a great example of this hop. 55 IBU, all Cascade. Not sure if that includes Tas Cascade though.

Got a brew fermenting on this hop at the moment - used from start of boil right to the end and will be dry hopping as well - style is a apa and cannot wait to get this in the keg

I'm starting to lean towards Cascade being a much underrated hop (by me that is).

I've always been on Citra bandwagon (and will remain so), and love a good Nelson Sauvin. Been always keen to try out newer hops as they came out (Galaxy, Mosaic, etc).

But I'm finally finding that I actually like Cascade enough as a hop for itself. I don't think I'd ever use it alone, but finding I really like what it brings to the table when offset with fruitier, less citrusy hops.

Doing a DIPA with it and Simcoe at the moment and chucked it in with some Citra and CTZ. Seems to work a treat, fermenter smell indicative.

I think NZ cascade is the best of the bunch Goomba, got an Amarillo NZ cascade in while I'm away, when I get home I'll dry hop it and cc the *******, really looking forward to it

The location of the farm affects the flavour properties of the hops. NZ hops tend to be more tropical

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
But I'm finally finding that I actually like Cascade enough as a hop for itself. I don't think I'd ever use it alone, but finding I really like what it brings to the table when offset with fruitier, less citrusy hops.
I think Cascade is one of the few hops that can stand on it's own in a SMaSH APA and not come across as a single hop beer.

It's actually a little funny watching people guess everything except Cascade when sampling.

Latest posts

Back