Cascade Spicy Ghost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I am only new to brewing, just a couple of years. I did do this brew once a few months ago. I thought it was quite good. i have just done another one.
I just used the yeast that came with, hallertau hops boiled for2-3 mins, 150g Crystal Grain boiled for 20 mins I think, 1kg body brew and 500g dextrose. Has been in Fermenter for just over a week and is just at about 1010, started at 1050.
I am going to bottle it and drink in at least a months time.
I think it's a great beer.
Eric :lol:

Howdy all,
been reading these forums for a week now and have found them very informative! Two thumbs up! I have only been doing kits for the last 6 months, and after reading a bit on here I am feeling an urge to get into the partials!

I made one of these several years ago. I used the kit and a kilo of dextrose. The one thing I noticed was that the kit yeast gave off a really strong sulphur smell and that early sampling of the beer had the sulphur in unsatisfactory levels. I left it for a period of time and the sulphur disappeared.
Cheers

Steve

I am quite relieved to hear this! I put one of these on just over a week ago, and testing the SG today noticed that smell! I used the kit and a bag of coopers BE2. How long did it take for the smell to go away Steve?

just tried another bottle of the spicy ghost after 3 weeks bottle time getting better probably not my beer of choice but definately drinkable should do well with another week under its belt , carbonation improved significantly from 2-3 weeks though...

I have a batch I am drinking now. I boiled the wort and put 200mls of strong honey in the mix and it came out fine. Well worth the effort.

B)-->QUOTE(John B @ Jul 29 2006, 12:52 PM) [post="144431"][/post]

:(

I tried making this a few months ago.

1 tin Spicy Ghost
500g Dried Wheat malt
500g Light liquid Malt extract
300g Dextrose
300g Corn Syrup
10gm Cascade hops boiled for 30minutes
10gm Sazz hops put in last 5 minutes of boil
Safwheat K97 Yeast
Made up to 20ltrs.

[/quote]

When you do the hops boil, do you boil the hops in a mix of goop, sugar and water or just boil it in water to add to the mix in the fermenter?

OK, it look like no-one else is answering U, so it's down 2 me.
Now, it's not coz I'm up for another hour or so performing the boil for my German Pils, so don't think that.

It depends on how much water U intend to boil. I'll give U the brief version here.
I'd recommend boiling a smaller amount of water, say 3-5 litres. Add about 500g LME to it and then add the hops once it's boiling. With this amount, you won't need too much cooling before U can pitch the yeast.

But, you can try it any way you want. Hey, it's your beer, and that's what brewing is about...making it the way U think is best (and then trying again to see if you can make it even better).

Beerz
Seth :p

Thanks Weizguy,

I had not considered boiling the LME and hops by themselves. I will try it in one of my near future brews.

I put this down yesterday in a fairly simple way

1.7kg can spicy ghost
1kg coopers dextrose
200g of light dry malt
200g honey
100g golden syrup

had a little tast out the sample pot for hydro reading tastes nice and malty with a subtle hint of honey started off around 1045

I put this down yesterday in a fairly simple way

1.7kg can spicy ghost
1kg coopers dextrose
200g of light dry malt
200g honey
100g golden syrup

had a little tast out the sample pot for hydro reading tastes nice and malty with a subtle hint of honey started off around 1045

I did this about 10days ago need to go down and check on it.

1.7kg Can Spicy Ghost
1kg Cooper Brew Enhancer2
200g Honey

Should be quite nice when she comes out I am really looking forward to it!!

One of my favourite brews is a can of Bavarian wheat, boil in 10g saaz @ 30min , 7g @ 2min, pitch K97 yeast. It ferments nicely in about 6-7 days at 16.5C, maybe up it to 18-19C for a day before bottling. Give it a couple of months to mature and it tastes something like redback.

Done all the Cascade range, Imperial Voyage is a good base for a pale ale, especially if you like your beers bitter.
Golden Harvest makes a great beer using W34/70 & a can of LME, Choc Mahogany is improving with age did that with a can of Amber LME & 200g crystal mail, had its 3 month birthday the other week, ill probably get stuck into that soon.

My one attempt at Spicy Ghost was a bit of a flop, turned out syrupy sweet and low in carbonation, probably as a result of using the kit supplied yeast. If you dress it up with some extra body & bittering, pitch a decent yeast it should be a winner, and there's nothing wrong with K97 IMHO

One of my favourite brews is a can of Bavarian wheat, boil in 10g saaz @ 30min , 7g @ 2min, pitch K97 yeast. It ferments nicely in about 6-7 days at 16.5C

curious to see how you're getting k97 to ferment that quick. i'm used to seeing it ferment out after 14-21 days at the 16-18c temp range. kits i have tried include the brewcraft bavarian wheat among others.

i love the k97 yeast, it has been quite slow in my experience though....any tips to fermenting it out quicker and i will brew more wheats! :chug:

Howdy all,
been reading these forums for a week now and have found them very informative! Two thumbs up! I have only been doing kits for the last 6 months, and after reading a bit on here I am feeling an urge to get into the partials!

I made one of these several years ago. I used the kit and a kilo of dextrose. The one thing I noticed was that the kit yeast gave off a really strong sulphur smell and that early sampling of the beer had the sulphur in unsatisfactory levels. I left it for a period of time and the sulphur disappeared.
Cheers

Steve

I am quite relieved to hear this! I put one of these on just over a week ago, and testing the SG today noticed that smell! I used the kit and a bag of coopers BE2. How long did it take for the smell to go away Steve?

Hey Berwyck,

I recently bottled a Casade Imperial Voyage Pale Ale which I brewed with the supplied kit yeast and also noticed this sulfur like smell when I was bottling it. It was quite strong so I feared the beer would taste terrible. I tried a bottle yesterday after only a month since bottling and smell has totally disappeared and it has a very clean taste! :beerbang:

My last batch of K97 wheat was given 7 days @ 16.5C by which time airlock activity had slowed to practically nothing, 3 days rest @ 18.5C to encourage the yeast to finish the job completely. I probably left it another day or so before turning off heaters and letting it settle to 10C or so for bottling on maybe (notes not here) the 12th day, so in fairness, it is getting its two sabbaths, and then some settling time in the primary. Didnt secondary this one for some reason, probably lack of equipment or time.

I always prepare my dried yeasts as starters, giving them a few hours by which time they are clearly quite active. I like to have short lag times when I pitch, decreases chances of infection I guess.

On monday I threw on a batch of muntons old english bitter, even in a yeast starter it took about 24 hrs for fermentation to build up pressure.
This is unusual, if I pitch at 11pm before going to bed im used to seeing full activity 7am the next morning.

I just put this kit down last night. I used a Kilo of Caramalt LME and 12gm Tettanger hops(Steeped in a cup) I also used a 7gm pack of yeast I had lying around from a coopers kit as well as the bohemiam yeast this kit came with.

Pitched @ 22c
Now sitting @ 15c

Hopefully will come along fine.

Cheers

HK
Hopefully it turns out OK

Back