Cascade Spicy Ghost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbd1979

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of putting down a cascade spicy ghost draught, using some wheat beer yeast i have left over.

Thoughts? For/Against?

cheers,

Matt

Welcome to the forums mbd.

A mate of mine (Barramundi on here) on the forums just bottled this and he used the kit yeast and a malt booster and it came out as the clearest beer his ever done and smelled great.

Using a wheat yeast in a non wheat beer would be interesting though.

Thanks for the welcome! I browse a lot but hope to contribute more once i'm a more accomplished brewer.

I'm just going by the marketing blurb on the side, "zesty, wheat-inspired..." I'm thinking a wheat beer yeast could be suprisingly good or plain disasterous. Anyone else tried it?

Welcome to the forums mbd.

A mate of mine (Barramundi on here) on the forums just bottled this and he used the kit yeast and a malt booster and it came out as the clearest beer his ever done and smelled great.

Using a wheat yeast in a non wheat beer would be interesting though.

I doubt it would turn out disastrous, one thing you'll notice with this forum is that it seems to be predominately All Grain, though all started out as kitters themselves.

Give it a whirl mate, seriously just make sure you keep the correct temp and it should come out good.

Maybe add a Morgans Masterblend wheat to it? Or a Wheat brew enhancer?

Just experiment mate.

I haven't tried this kit but my understanding was that it was a wheat beer as well, and it suggests so from the kit blurb. I'd use a kilo of dried light malt in it instead of any cane sugar or dextrose but that's just me. You should find some info on this kit if you use the search function above.

If your using a good wheat yeast like a Wyeast or White Labs you'll see substantially better results than using the kit yeast. I don't have any experience with the SafWheat yeasts so can't comment. IMO you will always see improvements in your kit beers if you use a good liquid yeast (or even some of the dry ones), pitch enough yeast and have good temp control.

Depending on what sort of wheat beer characteristics you are after just bear in mind that if you pitch a wheat beer with a large amount of yeast (ie. a harvested slurry from a previous batch) you will tend to get cleaner flavours and less of those characteristic phenolics, banana, fruity ester like flavours typical of a good german wheat beer. To really develop those great wheat beer flavours it's actually a bit better to under pitch. Either way you should still come out with a great beer.

Wheat beers can do with the extra flavours and complexity developed from the yeast due to the high wheat malt bill and low bitterness levels with very little flavour/aroma hop.

Only one way to find out, try it and see.

Good luck, Justin

do a search
i think i started a thread on this tin when it came out.

I made one of these several years ago. I used the kit and a kilo of dextrose. The one thing I noticed was that the kit yeast gave off a really strong sulphur smell and that early sampling of the beer had the sulphur in unsatisfactory levels. I left it for a period of time and the sulphur disappeared.

From what I've learnt since then, is that the yeast is most likely a true lager yeast and could do with the lower ferment temps, most likely a diacetyl rest for 2-3 days and then a 2 week lager in a cold fridge before bottling.

but then I could be wrong - and the beauty of this forum is that someone more knowledgable than me will let you and also me know.

Cheers

Steve

yeah as drew said i built one of these number but he incorrectly stated i used malt i didnt i used liquid brewing sugar, racked for 4 days and bottled crystal clear , actually tried a bottle of it with drew a week ago and it tasted well but the canbonation wasnt up to scratch yet , was only 2 weeks in the bottle though

Think this thread is in the wrong place, doesn't really sound like Gear and Equipment to me...Mods ?

As for Spicy Ghost, never tried it, but have heard some people say it's pretty average.

Think this thread is in the wrong place, doesn't really sound like Gear and Equipment to me...Mods ?

As for Spicy Ghost, never tried it, but have heard some people say it's pretty average.

WTFAYO mika

?? :huh:

Was in Gear and Equipment, got Doc to move it.

just tried another bottle of the spicy ghost after 3 weeks bottle time getting better probably not my beer of choice but definately drinkable should do well with another week under its belt , carbonation improved significantly from 2-3 weeks though...

Tried a couple of all the Cascade kits, & all were good for a K&K brews.
They were at the top of the list in my opinion, but are still only K&K brews afterall

Normell :)

:(

I tried making this a few months ago.

1 tin Spicy Ghost
500g Dried Wheat malt
500g Light liquid Malt extract
300g Dextrose
300g Corn Syrup
10gm Cascade hops boiled for 30minutes
10gm Sazz hops put in last 5 minutes of boil
Safwheat K97 Yeast
Made up to 20ltrs.

Its the first time I ever used Safwheat K97 and I found it was extreemly slow fermenting.
The Original Gravity was 1058 but after two weeks it was still only 1035.
I then racked it and left it another 2 weeks its was 1020
Another 2 weeks it was 1008 so I bottled it.

It tasted ok as I bottled it and I plan to try it about the end of September.

I have been told that Safwheat K97 has a reputation for slow ferments
Has anyone else found this?

Cheers :beerbang:

B)-->QUOTE(John B @ Jul 29 2006, 12:52 PM) [post="144431"][/post]

:(

I tried making this a few months ago.

1 tin Spicy Ghost
500g Dried Wheat malt
500g Light liquid Malt extract
300g Dextrose
300g Corn Syrup
10gm Cascade hops boiled for 30minutes
10gm Sazz hops put in last 5 minutes of boil
Safwheat K97 Yeast
Made up to 20ltrs.

Its the first time I ever used Safwheat K97 and I found it was extreemly slow fermenting.
The Original Gravity was 1058 but after two weeks it was still only 1035.
I then racked it and left it another 2 weeks its was 1020
Another 2 weeks it was 1008 so I bottled it.

It tasted ok as I bottled it and I plan to try it about the end of September.

I have been told that Safwheat K97 has a reputation for slow ferments
Has anyone else found this?

Cheers :beerbang:
[/quote]

Hi John B,

What temp did you ferment at with the safwheat k97? My understanding is that it's an ale yeast so best at 18-20. Or are wheat beers brewed at lager temps?

Still haven't put this down actually, have been distracted by fresh wort kits :D Might try my first boil with it, using mostly wheat malt me thinks...keen to experiment...

cheers,

Matt

[Hi John B,

What temp did you ferment at with the safwheat k97? My understanding is that it's an ale yeast so best at 18-20. Or are wheat beers brewed at lager temps?

Still haven't put this down actually, have been distracted by fresh wort kits :D Might try my first boil with it, using mostly wheat malt me thinks...keen to experiment...

cheers,

Matt
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply Matt.

I fermented it on the bottom side of 18C. Maybe it was a bit low but I found a web site about K97 and it suggested it be fermented at 18C or a bit lower.

One mistake I may have done was rack it into a secondary after 8 days. When I racked it it still had a large crusty top and was foaming everywhere.
I am going to try it again with K97 and leave it for 3 weeks before racking

I will keep you posted

Cheers

John B

Don't mistake K-97 as a wheat yeast. It has that name here but it is generally regarded as a german ale yeast. I have never noticed banana and clove when I brewed with it. Still, it would taste better than the sulphury shite they stick under the Cascade kit lids.

Latest posts

Back