Carlton Black

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighanno

Reaction score
;) Any suggestions for a kit solution to brew Carlton Black? Thanks Guys. Cheers

being your first post brewers here don't really have any idea of your brewing level and as such you could possibly get hit with all sorts of advice from steeping grain and doing a small boil with hops and so forth. But for my money i'am guessing your ussuall brews would be say coopers cans and what not with brew booster 'bags', i'd sudjest you start with say a coopers old classic ale can with a brew booster type bag containing half malt half dextrose. Make that up and see what you think, it certainly makes a awesome beer at the most basic level. If you are after something more complex than i'd advise to type out a little bit about yourself and your brewing so you can get best addvice suited to your level of brewing.

Happy brewing and welcome to the forum
Jayse

Mate, you were spot on, my error. My brewing ability could fit on a matchbox cover but the answer you provided was what I was chasing, thanks.

bighanno said:
;) Any suggestions for a kit solution to brew Carlton Black? Thanks Guys. Cheers
[post="115984"][/post]​

I found the Coopers Dark, coupled with a Morgans crystal malt was a nice dark beer.

I'm sure that the Morgans Iron Bark dark ale with the same malt would be damn nice also.

M

As long as its thin,watery and unintresting as carlton black,you may as well do a can of dark ale with 500gms dex plus 500gms DME and the kit yeast or saf so4.

Bland city. :rolleyes:

Brauluver said:
As long as its thin,watery and unintresting as carlton black,you may as well do a can of dark ale with 500gms dex plus 500gms DME and the kit yeast or saf so4.

[post="116038"][/post]​

Wow! Them's harsh words about possibly the best of the mega-swill offerings in Aus. I reckon its a decent dark ale for the non-stout drinkers.

I agree that you should get a result you are happy with from a Coopers Old can with malt extract (1.5 - 2kg). Drop the volume of the wort down a litre or two to make it a bit thicker if that's what you like.

Good luck.

Scott

bighanno said:
[post="115984"][/post]​

I have never had the courage (pardon the pun) to try a "Carlton Black", however my mate brews a lot of Morgans Iron Bark ale with a generous helping of DME and it is OK. I have found it is better when I have given him a starter of 1056 american yeast but this will be up to you.
cheers

Brauluver said:

[post="116038"][/post]​
So you have never tried a carlton Black out of the tap, only a stubby.
you my friend, are either a MASTERBREWER, or a dreamer

I rather like the Coopers Dark with 1.5kg of LME, I have one bottled at the moment with 15g fuggles to see what it's like and another in the fermenter with 500g dex 500 LME 500 DME.
Just playing with it at the moment but the previous ones were OK.
Never tried the Carlton Black but like Tooheys Old (or did before trying this) and I used to enjoy the Kent when I was in NSW, is that still around?

I am a dark ale man myself and have had the extreme misfortune of trying a Carlron Black. It is the same crap beer that carlton tried to pass in NSW as Reschs Black and is an absolutely disgusting drop of cats pee.

Now, I am a dark ale man and not a stout drinker! I love Tooheys Darl Ale and a good Porter!

Try one of tese 2 brews:

1 x can of Tooheys Dark Ale
1kg o DDME
20gm willamette dry hopped
Make up to 2 litres

1 x can Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg of DDME
500gm of YUellowbox honey
20gm of Cascade hops (Dry hopped)
Make to 21 litres.

Bioth are excellent beers!

Wassa said:
I am a dark ale man myself and have had the extreme misfortune of trying a Carlron Black. It is the same crap beer that carlton tried to pass in NSW as Reschs Black and is an absolutely disgusting drop of cats pee.

Now, I am a dark ale man and not a stout drinker! I love Tooheys Darl Ale and a good Porter!

Try one of tese 2 brews:

1 x can of Tooheys Dark Ale
1kg o DDME
Make up to 2 litres

1 x can Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg of DDME
500gm of YUellowbox honey
20gm of Cascade hops (Dry hopped)
Make to 21 litres.

Bioth are excellent beers!
[post="117934"][/post]​
Will give them a go Wassa, but taste buds are different for everybody.
I find the Tooheys Old too watery, and the Carlton Black quite a nice drop
"1 x can of Tooheys Dark Ale
1kg o DDME
Make up to 2 litres" seems a lot for only 2 Lts :blink:

Normell

Wassa said:
snipped>

[post="117934"][/post]​

I'am not sure if this is very constructive really, although cats piss is (sometimes wrongly) given as the flavour of some light lagers cats piss or the aroma of is atributed to beers that have been in the sun/light which causes some subtances in the hops to form some sulpher compounds which have a quite unpleasant aroma.
In the case of carlton black this certainly is not the case, like it or not CUB have possibly one of the best quality control in any australian brewery or otherwise there beers would offend to many people, there beers are designed to not offend anyone and as such will not exite anyone either.
Now maybe the cats piss taste you get (which i think your just using the word cats piss because you don't like it) rather than it being the actuall flavour of cats piss is the maybe acrid, acidic, burnt flavour or black patent malt type malts which is what i'd say is the biggest flavour in this beer. The beer overall is reasonbly clean and unoffensive to most learned beer drinkers.

Anyway wrongly using the term cats piss for a beer simply because you don't like it is maybe not all that constuctive, saying you like tooheys old better i would think maybe a better way to have put it was you prefer dark ale in the softer style of scottish ale and didn't like the burnt edge in the carlton black.

Boozed, bruised and broken boned
Jayse

i would rather drink carlton black than vb or new. it is not bad considering teh alternatives...

Hi there bighanno!

Great to see you trying to replicate the beer that you enjoy. Brewing a beer that you (and possibly your mates) enjoy should be your sole aim in brewing.

Most people start homebrewing to replicate the light lager styles yet you are straight onto darks! Good stuff.

I've never had a Carlton Black surprisingly, but I imagine it's like a, 'Toohey Old,' as Jayse mentioned above in his excellent post.

It all has to do with personal taste. I don't like stouts that much (though some impress me) and the lighter range of lagers is probably what I drink most. My favourite beer though is a dark lager such as a bock or schwarzbier which we can very loosely say is similiar to your Carlton Black. Technically, they are not even close but well, they are the same colour! (I just wrote that for the beer snobs who have forgoten how much they used to enjoy commercial beers!)

When I was younger, all the beer I drank was mainstream commercial and my friends and I certainly had a great time drinking it! Whilst there are some commercial beers that I will not drink now, probably due to a huge amount of chemical additives, I can still enjoy many commercial beers on tap.

This is because, afer my agricultural college and uni days, I had the great fortune of being trained extremely well in all styles of beer and also their faults, (though I've since let my fault detection skills slide.) Most of these styles, (this is 20 years ago now,) were pretty much unheard of in Australia. This taught me how to appreciate a beer for what it is.

In fact, I was even given a Fosters off tap last week which is a beer that I wouldn't dream of buying myself. The best bit was that I was able to actually savour a certain flavour in it that is not in most mainstream beers. So, I was able to make the beer interest me and therefore be quite enjoyable while waiting to drink something a little more up my alley.

I hope that in 20 years time, you'll be able to drink a Carlton Black, enjoy it and be able to do the same with most other beers you drink. Surely that's got to be good?

EDIT: Yep - I think it is good. Check this out The Three Vinegar Tasters I'd forgotten that story!

Cheers
PP

Latest posts

Back