Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secaboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a small problem, maybe someone can give me a tip or two. Two weeks ago i just bottled my brew after it was reading 1000 for a period of 3 days. Sat my bottles in the garage (not knowing what temp it has been ) and patiently waited for them to finish the 2nd fermentation. Cracked open a bottle last night and to my surprise it tastes like it has to much carbonation. I have been using sugar drops from my local home brew store which i have used previously and had no dramas with.

Is my brew ruined, do i have to start again? or does it need bringing inside and putting in a warm room for a further week or too to ferment?

Thanks.

ok 2 weeks wow i dont open bottles till at least 4 bare minimum.
as for the carbonation i found the drops gave varying results some bottles would be over and some under.

4 weeks? you're crazy barls, I'm doin well if I can last a week without trying one :p

1.000 is pretty damn dry to be finishing, maybe the carbonic bite is more noticeable in a beer that dry? How was the taste once the bubbles died down? Was the beer cold? Did your other problem free beers finish that low? If I ever had a beer reach 1.000 I'd being thinking it was infected...not that yours is, but if it is then it would explain the massive carbonation too.

For the record I've been using carb drops for 4 years now and never noticed these inconsistencies people speak of...

Yeah, I've only had one beer finish as low down as that (1.002) and I had random gushers from the bottles and it developed an odd flavour to it. I chalked it up to some random infection.

4 weeks? you're crazy barls, I'm doin well if I can last a week without trying one :p

1.000 is pretty damn dry to be finishing, maybe the carbonic bite is more noticeable in a beer that dry? How was the taste once the bubbles died down? Was the beer cold? Did your other problem free beers finish that low? If I ever had a beer reach 1.000 I'd being thinking it was infected...not that yours is, but if it is then it would explain the massive carbonation too.

For the record I've been using carb drops for 4 years now and never noticed these inconsistencies people speak of...

This is the 2nd time i have made this recipe and the last time it also got down to 1000 and it tasted fine but this time it has too much gas for some reason.

Hi everyone.

I have a small problem, maybe someone can give me a tip or two. Two weeks ago i just bottled my brew after it was reading 1000 for a period of 3 days. Sat my bottles in the garage (not knowing what temp it has been ) and patiently waited for them to finish the 2nd fermentation. Cracked open a bottle last night and to my surprise it tastes like it has to much carbonation. I have been using sugar drops from my local home brew store which i have used previously and had no dramas with.

Is my brew ruined, do i have to start again? or does it need bringing inside and putting in a warm room for a further week or too to ferment?

Thanks.

I'm a bit lost. Your brew has too much carbonation? Bringing it into a warm room will encourage more CO2 to develop (if there's sugar left to eat). I'm assuming your two problems are potential bottle bombs (assuming it's in glass) and overgassed beer.

For the first, pop on whatever safety gear you think you feel comfortable with and wrap every bottle tightly in glad wrap. Bring in as many as you can and put them in the fridge to chill right down.

For the second - open each bottle and leave for a couple of minutes. Re-seal and put back in the fridge. Open the next day and see - if necessary - repeat.

1.000 is very low - maybe a mild gusher infection if you didn't use dry enzyme in the recipe.

There's a small chance you accidentally put too many drops in one or two bottles so best to see if they are all like that.

Latest posts

Back