Carbing time in bottles. More than you think.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstock

Reaction score
Recently I had an interesting experiment forced upon me due to a mistake.
I brewed a Coopers Cerveza, straight K&K, for one of my son’s mates. After 2 weeks I transferred it to a bottling bucket to bulk prime and topped up to 23L with 3L of cooled water from the fridge and bottled into swingtops and stubbies with Sed Ex caps.
When cleaning up I looked at the 3L juice bottle I had used for top up and to my horror saw my note on a piece of tape, + 184gms sugar!! So I had effectively doubled my priming sugar. I immediately opened all the swingtops and put them in a cupboard with the tops just sitting in place. Two days later I released the pressure in the stubbies and continued to do this for 35 days before there was no pssh on opening. Sure, I know there was twice the amount of prime, but, 35 days. Bottles were at ambient high 20’s.
The other thing was the amount of absorbed CO2 that was still present in the stubbies. I decided to reprime the stubbies with carb drops. The first couple were gushers until I figured out how to get the top back on quickly. Interestingly the swingtops with the tops sitting in place did not gush.

Back