Carb drop vs Bulk priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumbo72

Reaction score
How ya going. Newbie to brewing, Don't know if I should use Carb drops or Bulk prime? Any advise?

Cheers [emoji16]

Use carb drops to start, just to keep it simple. Then if you start to geek on carb levels you can switch if you want. Main advantage to bulk priming is being able to more accurately control the level of carbonation in your beer.

I assume your bottling, go with the carb drops, the variation between bottles is negligible, and as you are new to this, there are risks to bulk prime?
Cheers and welcome aboard

Yeah bottling, using 750 ml PET bottles, have read or watched a video some where that mentioned squeezing the bottle to remove the remaining air from the top of the bottle. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice above [emoji3] carb drops it is.

Leave one to two centimeters space at the top. If you're doing 750's you may want to do two drops per bottle.

I have a 3 measure sugar scoop, 1 side does 750ml bottles, one does 500ml bottles and the last does 330ml bottles. Add measured amount direct to bottles. I don't bother with the difference between 750 and 800ml long necks, 500 and 568 ml pints, or 330, 345 or 375 ml bottles.

It is a fool proof concept, no expensive carb drops, no calculations for co2 levels and temp, no what ifs relating to how to add the prime to the bulk wort. The scoop targets the middle range (safe) carbonation level

My first fermenter came with such a scoop > 10 years ago, these days the starter kits seem to come with the drops instead. Probably about 4 bucks, but priceless!!

BradG said:
no calculations for co2 levels and temp,
How does that work? The residual CO2 based on temperature doesn't change just because you don't bulk prime the batch.

Anyway, probably no need to echo the sentiments of everyone else, keep it simple to start with, either by carb drops or a measuring spoon, then if you want to bulk prime later down the track, the option is always there of course.

No the co2 level is whatever, the point is ,as you said, keep it simple and middle of the road, no need to calculate and complicate and still end up with a good result.

I would agree with that yeah.

I don't bother about calculating it anyway, even with doing bulk priming. Every batch is controlled in a brew fridge and gets to basically the same temp post ferment. I just throw in 8g/L dextrose, less for dark styles like porters. Always end up with carbonation to my satisfaction. Took a bit of experimenting to get to that amount though. B)

I Love beer, more so if I made it myself. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji261]( looks like hop plant leaves, they need a hop emoticon symbol)

And I love having what amounts to effectively infinity beer in storage. No more sad faces and left wanting more when the 6 pack runs out, as there is another 20 slabs out back!!

Absolutely. Although I am running out of beer after having or being invited to more than the usual number of house parties recently. Has put rather a dent in the stocks! :lol:

BradG said:
And I love having what amounts to effectively infinity beer in storage. No more sad faces and left wanting more when the 6 pack runs out, as there is another 20 slabs out back!!
I really need to get a 2nd fermenter so I can acutally build my stocks. I finish what I have while the new ones are conditioning ,and repeat

its a vicious cycle .

Run them a week apart and you'll build up stocks, however a third one is not out of the question. Use it for different styles, or when visitors deplete your stocks.
Cheers

There is a significant difference in CO2 volumes between beer styles. If you want a different way to bulk prime without the hassle of racking to a bottling bucket, Google "pseudo bulk priming". I do that & it works a treat

Bulk priming is easier if you have different size bottles and I suggest you learn it after a few brews. If you're going to use the PET bottles. 2 drops per bottle, beer, done.

Lowlyf said:
Bulk priming is easier if you have different size bottles and I suggest you learn it after a few brews.
A few brews you have made, not after having drunk a few brews :). Thats a terrible time to learn bulk priming :)

Agreed, there is a lot of difference in CO2 volumes between beer styles. I mainly brew ones that work well with a higher carb level, for my taste anyway, but I will decrease the sugar when brewing a more lowly carbed style.

I'm not really sure how pseudo bulk priming is less of a hassle than simply turning on a tap and letting it drain out though, especially with different sized bottles, but anyway... horses for courses I suppose. I'll stick with racking to a secondary bucket and filling the bottles without concern for measuring each one's dose with a syringe, it's worked a treat for me for over 3 years and counting. B)

Back