Car A/c Fan...anyone Know Much About Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

Reaction score
G'day folks,

I have a 2000 kia rio, the fan that runs the cabin ventilation (e.g the air con) runs perfectly...plenty of blow...and then other times it plays up, while when you turn the fan up (you can hear it really speed up) the amount of "blow" it haves seems to give out is like someone is breathing on you lightly.

Any ideas what is going on??? Maybe fan is full of crap? Any ideas of how to pull it apart to inspect?

Cheers, Pok

A 9yo Kia and the fan is still working? Count yourself lucky !!

Thats a real shit job getting to the blower...

Q. does the same low air flow problem apply in all vent modes (eg face/feet/demist) or just on face? it just one, then it could be the ducting seals and you have a pressure loss

One thing i have seen (not in a rio but i was not a kia mechanic) is when the fan is on recirc it can suck a plastic bag, or similar, up of the passenger foot well and virtually block the fan.

Thats a real shit job getting to the blower...

Just what I wanted to hear :blink:

Q. does the same low air flow problem apply in all vent modes (eg face/feet/demist) or just on face? it just one, then it could be the ducting seals and you have a pressure loss

Not sure to be honest....I will have to check it. 99% of the time the vents/fan seem to work perfectly (I use face only 99% of the time unless I have it on demist)....its strange that it is intermittent

One thing i have seen (not in a rio but i was not a kia mechanic) is when the fan is on recirc it can suck a plastic bag, or similar, up of the passenger foot well and virtually block the fan.

Interesting...I'm pretty sure this has not happened tho...not that much guts in the ol' girl.

G'day folks,

I have a 2000 kia rio, the fan that runs the cabin ventilation (e.g the air con) runs perfectly...plenty of blow...and then other times it plays up, while when you turn the fan up (you can hear it really speed up) the amount of "blow" it haves seems to give out is like someone is breathing on you lightly.

Any ideas what is going on??? Maybe fan is full of crap? Any ideas of how to pull it apart to inspect?

Cheers, Pok

Could be a simple ducting problem. Sometimes in cheaper cars, not that KIA is a cheap built car.. COUGH, the fan ducting is run pretty low in the dash and your feet or other can disturb it quite easily....

Lay down on with your back to the feet wells and have a good look up under the dash.. you will see plastic tubing, sort of like mini ducted A/C...

Just a thought!

Ex. Mechanic's opinion. :ph34r:

Sounds like the go Cocko...I have a feeling it has to be something simple...like a ducting issue or blockage etc...its just the intermittent bit that stumps me...Will be interesting if I have to remove the dash...can't be that hard :p

Mate, I was a diesel mechanic and use to use tools that would hang from the roof... you couldn't hold them. even if you were chuck norris!!

BUT dash work - fick - It is such a joy [Sarcasm goes here] to try and put in a 4mm screw to a hole that is at arms reach in a place you will never see!!.... Hence me not being a mechanic NEVER again.... I don't even service my own car anymore!!

Anyway, Get your head in under there and find out what is going on! Let me know what you find.....

BTW: Wrote a much funnier reply but it didn't load! :icon_drunk:

Back