Can't get that Euro aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
For example Oettinger has a nice hop nose and they just use extracts (hopsextract listed on label)
Not any more, the PC bastards have updated the rear label.
I have had a similar conundrum with my limited experience with lagers and I'm wondering if the relationship might be yeast-based. Gather 'round kids...

I've currently got an 'Aussie Pils' fermenting which consists of JW pils, PoR early and a whack of CZ Saaz at whirlpool. Cubed. I've done a similar recipe before and got some moderate Saaz aroma. It was 4.2% ABV whereas the current brew is 4.9%. I used Urquell 2001 - decent pitch in HB terms - and overall wasn't a bad drop albeit not perfect.
Cheeky Peak unfortunately only had one lager yeast on hand and that was WLP940 Mexican Lager. I'm down to about 1.015 after 5 days at 11.5-12°C so raised the controller temp yesterday and took a sample taste. My my is it bland. Great in one respect because it's low-fault, and would be perfect to knock down in the hot summer sun a la Corona. However there is very little hop aroma to speak of, much less with this than when I used the Urquell 2001. Once in the glass it may well work but at this stage it feels like I've wasted 45g of Saaz.
In the same vein, my recent James Boags-alike used Wyeast 2042 with a late addition of PoR. I wasn't able to get the Melbourne Bitter and Carlton Draught levels of pride aroma but it was definitely 'catty'. It was fermented at 12°C and allowed to rise to 15°C late in the ferment. I believe the yeast works well to push more of the hop aroma and even though it was fermented lower than your typical regime Bribie, it still worked to let the pride 'shine'. It was well received by Draught drinkers which is a nut I've been trying to crack for years. Contrasting with CUB's offerings though, their hop aroma must be from the extract because if hops aren't used in the boil for CD and MB how else would they get in there? Likewise for Bitburger, OeTTINGER, Trumer etc. That said, others like DAB, Urquell, Weihenstephaner and so on still have hop aroma en masse and are not made using extract.

One thing we don't do on the home brew level is massive yeast pitches like the breweries. I recall MHB posting that commercial breweries use the equivalent of 60 smack packs in a 23l brew. Could this (in conjunction with fresh hops) be the difference? The yeast choice too undoubtedly has impact on the hop aroma but considering you're using 2042 and others 34/70, I'd be surprised if this is an issue.

Latest posts

Back