Cane Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Doing "Old Speckled Hen" and the recipe calls for 120g cane sugar, would normal table sugar do? If not, where's the best place to get it?

Diggles

Use raw sugar, cane sugar is unproccessed. Preferably demarara sugar, woolies,coles and such will have it.

I always thought cane sugar was just sugar - plain, white refined sucrose.

Here, we only have cane sugar - but the northern hemisphere also has beet sugar, so they differentiate. Beet sugar when refined to white sugar tastes to me exactly the same as cane sugar.

Their less-refined products taste different.

Sub the "cane sugar" for Lyle's Golden Syrup . The brewery actually uses invert sugar of which Lyle's is nearly 60%. I have also tried light and dark brown sugar and found both to be good subs but the light was closer to Speckled Hen

Nick JD said:
I always thought cane sugar was just sugar - plain, white refined sucrose.

Here, we only have cane sugar - but the northern hemisphere also has beet sugar, so they differentiate. Beet sugar when refined to white sugar tastes to me exactly the same as cane sugar.

Their less-refined products taste different.
Yeah. Confusing.
Pure Cane Sugar is an unrefined product. The term cane Sugar mostly refers to the refined table sugar made from sugar cane :wacko:

yum beer said:
Use raw sugar, cane sugar is unproccessed. Preferably demarara sugar, woolies,coles and such will have it.
I'd go either raw or demarara for the style. Table sugar would add the alc without any flavour, but I think the extra bit of molasses would be yum.

edit: Geeze I'm funny, quoted yum beer and said the beer would be yum :blink:

Cheers boys, great help. I'm off to the shop. Is it beer o'clock yet?

Diggles

NewtownClown said:
Sub the "cane sugar" for Lyle's Golden Syrup . The brewery actually uses invert sugar of which Lyle's is nearly 60%. I have also tried light and dark brown sugar and found both to be good subs but the light was closer to Speckled Hen
Any suggestion as to where to get Lyle's? I remember searching high and low here in Melbourne for it a few months back when making a k&k irish ale with a mate. Went to about 5 IGA's and just about every Coles/Woolies around here. Couldn't find anything but CSR. Which we eventually settled for...and couldn't taste it anyway, so that was fun.

Usually in the Foreign foods section along with Marmite and PG Tips.

Latest posts

Back