Can You Shorten The Mashmaster Probe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I want to mount my mashmaster thermometer though my kettle wall. Pretty simple except it will get in the road of my copper coil cooler. I have a few option (1) cut off a portion if the probe, (2) bend it or (3) take the thing out when while I am mashing and cap if off so its not in the road.

What do others do?

Cheers KOS

Have a look at TelTru thermometers website for details on how a bimetal thermometer works - I don't think it's possible to easily shorten a thermometer. Have you thought of installing an extension nipple onto your threaded outlet on the kettle? Thermometer would sit a little proud of the kettle, but at least fit.

Cheers,
Shannon.

If you were to go the extension nipple, just make sure it drains well afterwards, I have one in my HLT and found that though the probe is stainless, if left submersed the weld that joins the probe to the nipple can rust. Not usually a problem, just if left submersed for extended periods.

You could go down instead of sideways by dangling it down close to the side of the kettle (drill a hole if you have room on a keggle or weld a bracket if you use a pot). Protect the wiring by using lots of shrinkwrap tube & hanging inside a length of ss tubing sealed at the bottom or the (sealed) diptube from a 50 litre keg.
Never seen this done but it sounds feasible.

TP

Latest posts

Back