Can You See Your House?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically some of the maps can be up to six years old.

As for censorship, the MSN Virtual Earth version of censorship hit the news today linky link

Beers,
Doc

Oh yeah Barfridge, i can see the extra house yeah, :p
No serious, i hear the pics are about 2yrs old ?
cheers

johnno said:
From The Age in Melbourne

Discomfort as Google zooms from great height

August 8, 2005 - 5:08PM

Australia's nuclear regulator has called on Google to censor high-quality satellite imagery of the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor which is freely available on its website.

Google Earth, a new software program owned by the search engine giant, allows users to zoom across the planet at a height of about 300 metres.

The technology offers a bird's eye view of the entire Lucas Heights facility, including the soon-to-be-decommissioned HIFAR reactor and the early stages of construction of its replacement, the OPAL reactor.

Such is the quality of the satellite imagery that cars and the clearly defined perimeter can be seen.

The Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation wants the quality of imagery downgraded or completely obscured.

"We would probably prefer [Google] not to show images as intimately as they currently do and we'll certainly be liaising with them to see whether we can reduce that level of intimacy," ANSTO spokesman, Craig Pearce, said.

johnno
[post="70686"][/post]​

ive looked over some military bases in the states and they get pretty blurry if you try to zoom in too far. they'll probably just do the same with bases from other countries once google is told where they are ;) ;)
joe

ok, I've tried it & it seems to get v blurry on EVERYTHING if you try to go in close - I can see my street, but only because I know where it is!

Am I missin something?

When the US military wants civilian imagery censored, they buy it all up, whatever the cost. Here we 'liase'?

Where do you draw the line here? It's okay to look in our backyards but not on a civilian science facility which any caftan donning greenie sporting a paper mache a-bomb can break into.

Anyone can order imagery (actual satellite time, if required) online - and it's not all novelty, security risk and privacy invasion - consider images showing the 'clean up' in Zimbabwe.

ANSTO just doesn't want the locals to know what they are up to, simple as that.

Lucas Heights is more at risk from bushfire than terrorism that is abetted by 2-6 year old imagery?

Why not hire a plane from Bankstown, and do your own low pass and take your own shots with a 6MP dig camera?

At least then you know your image is accurate..... :ph34r:

Durka Durka Durka!

Mandrakar,
Did you create your avitar in Spartan??

ok, I've tried it & it seems to get v blurry on EVERYTHING if you try to go in close - I can see my street, but only because I know where it is!

The thing is, the satellite images are basically a cut and paste job of many different images. For some areas, especially away from major cities, the highest resolution images available are not very high resolution at all. In other areas they are fantastic. Weird thing I found was that the tiles over parts of eastern Sydney, including the city itself, and the north shore and north, are at quite a low resolution.

One guy has made a really nice little hack for Google maps that allows you to measure distances. Great if you are into running or cycling, like I know all good home brewers are :D. This works best if you have a good map layer, but will also work for the satellite layer as long as you can work out where you are going. Unfortunately Google does not seem to have a map layer for Australia yet. I'm in Japan and when the hack was first announced some weeks ago there was only a satellite layer, but suddenly Google came up with an excellent map layer for all of Japan courtesy of one of the providers of CDs for in-car GPS navi systems. Very happy with that, though it does stretch my Japanese reading ability well beyond breaking point :( Anyway here is the hack:
http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

And this is a running route I sometimes use from my office to a running track. It cuts through central Tokyo, past the National Stadium, and you can see the Imperial Palace in the eastern part of the picture. Talk about worries about ANSTO, you can almost see the Emperor picking his nose if you switch to satellite and zoom right in. Have fun.

Steve

Tim said:
Mandrakar,
Did you create your avitar in Spartan??
[post="70816"][/post]​

Nope... that would infer that I had an inkling of how to play with graphics on a pc :blink:

Simply found a picture of the Ethyl Alcohol molecule (C2H5-OH) and downloaded it.

Contrary to the wife's belief, I didn't go for a cute picture of a doggy ! :lol:

M.

Latest posts

Back