Can I Use My 50l Esky As A Tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bourbonandoj

Reaction score
Hi,
I am getting out of the kit and kilo and into the world of AG. I am in the process of setting myself up and am wondering if my 50L esky will do the job as a mash tun? I am planning on a false bottom, and a keg for my strike water. Any help apprecaited. Also, a mate of mine has given me 100kg of wheat for my brew. Is it a good donation or do I have to get some special wheat? Like I said I am a bit of a noob!!

edit:speeling!!

100 kg of wheat malt or just wheat?

50 L esky will be fine for single batches and I'm pretty sure some people manage to push doubles out of them.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't because mine is 26 Litres and I easily get a single batch.

I think it will be fine - there was a thread in the last month or two about a guy doing his first AG and it was really good. Have a search.

I use a 50l esky works a treat, got the complete package from Beerbelly.

Go and buy some camping mat to sit on top of mash though to insulate it, first two i didnt have this and lost alot of heat.

I have a 50L esky and it works fine for double batches, depending on your sparge type. You can have issues with "No Sparge".

55L esky lined with swiss voile and it works a treat. I only do single batches and based on the water volume and grain bill not really sure I could get away with doing a double batch - 5kg grain and 34L of water for a 22L batch.

I use a 55L esky, and manage double batches (up to 37L of post-boil wort.)

Works a treat.

I have a 33 L esky and do 66 L batches, 50 L would be a dream come true

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I am impressed at how friendly you all are.
Not sure about the wheat though. I am not 100% sure on if it is malted or not?? I understand that wheat does not have enough sugar for the ferment, but I will double check with my mate.

If it's unmalted you may be able to use it as an adjunct to aid head retention etc and to make witbiers. If it's malted you can use it as a base malt.

Latest posts

Back