Can I Use Little Creatures Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if any of the primary yeast makes it into the bottle, perhaps it's a blend. I'm guessing that removing the primary yeast is going to affect the end result as far as flavour is concerned.

Yes the yeast props hold at least a thousand litres each.

And there's no primary strain yeast in the bottle at all. With regards to flavour impact, I think we're all all aware that the type of yeast used in LCPA is a yeast that adds pretty much nothing to the character of the beer. I believe the polite way of putting it is that it lets the hops shine through....

Exactly what yeast is used in the primary? I think we are all aware that we are never gonna know.
And with that in mind how are we ever gonna know that it imparts nothing to the brew. Sure the hops are in the foreground but that could mask a very subtle yeast influence. I think we are all never gonna know.

Boagsy, did you read any of the previous posts at all? They use a proprietary strain i.e. we cannot get a hold of it
Closest matches are US-05, WY1056 or WL001

You can take what Kai says as being pretty spot on to. Being that he's an ex Little creatures brewer and a current Little World beverages employee ;)

I wouldnt assume that coopers yeast found in the bottle is the same as the primary fermentation yeast strain.

After talking to an ex head brewer, he would not answer a question that i asked about this.

By not answering this I assume it is different, as the beer is spun in a centrifuge to remove yeast prior to bottling.

My question to him was "are the bottles re-seeded with the same yeast strain before capping?"

He did not want to answer this........... you make your own decision.

(funny how the same amount of yeast is in every bottle..... hmmmm)

Possibly as an Ex-head brewer he would have signed a confidentiality agreement preventing him from divulging information about any of Coopers brewing practices (without the consent of the company)

I had to sign one for a warehouse/manufacturing joint I used to work at that pretty much went along those lines...

Hey Guys,

Was just reading this one and I can probably clarify our process.

We do ferment with an ale yeast and then filter bright and re-innoculate with a pilsner yeast (the same strain that we use in our Pilsner in fact).

There are a number of microbiological reasons for doing so - lager yeast is slightly more vigourous, will ferment a bit dryer, etc. We do only add JUST enough to do the job and post bottle conditioning we actually chill every batch to ensure tight compaction of the yeast. This is just our philosophy and ther are plenty of other ways to do it.

And yes, our yeast is stored in Copenhagen and we propagate fresh conditioning yeast every week. (ale yeast about once every 4 weeks).

Anyway, there you go.... (and yes, I guess you could culture up the pils yeast from the bottle, but as someone said here, probably purchase some and you are guaranteed that the yeast is healthy).

Cheers,

Alex (aka LC Chief Brewer)

Boagsy, did you read any of the previous posts at all? They use a proprietary strain i.e. we cannot get a hold of it
Closest matches are US-05, WY1056 or WL001

That's right mate we don't know what it is exactly and we are never gonna know. All we can do is to use a substitute that may give similar results.
Did you read some of my post or all of it?
Unless it comes from the brewers mouth I wont be taking it as gospel and the chances of him divulging the whole process used in brewing LCPA to me would be sweet F.A.

Heard of reading between the lines ?

I'm interested in reusing the yeast from a bottle or two of Little Creatures, and I have searched around the forum and on Google, but I can't seem to find if this is doable or not. Has anyone done this with any success?

I have just tried using the yeast from 3 bottles of Litle creatures. I should have read this forum first. There is a slight sulphur smell so i'm guessing that it is too hot for this type of yeast. I will let you know how it turns out

Hey Guys,

We do ferment with an ale yeast and then filter bright and re-innoculate with a pilsner yeast (the same strain that we use in our Pilsner in fact).

There are a number of microbiological reasons for doing so - lager yeast is slightly more vigourous, will ferment a bit dryer, etc. We do only add JUST enough to do the job and post bottle conditioning we actually chill every batch to ensure tight compaction of the yeast. This is just our philosophy and ther are plenty of other ways to do it.

And yes, our yeast is stored in Copenhagen and we propagate fresh conditioning yeast every week. (ale yeast about once every 4 weeks).

Anyway, there you go.... (and yes, I guess you could culture up the pils yeast from the bottle, but as someone said here, probably purchase some and you are guaranteed that the yeast is healthy).

Cheers,

Always helpful when commercial breweries are informative and helpful enough to contribute to threads like these.

Cheers (also to kai who is forthcoming about a lot of similar type of information).

Always helpful when commercial breweries are informative and helpful enough to contribute to threads like these.

Cheers (also to kai who is forthcoming about a lot of similar type of information).

Ditto.

Would appear the concensus is towards S05?

Whoopsie! Man, I nearly got it right? :p Pfffft!!! Leftovers? Scraps? Same same? No?

Great beer BTW wish I had some on tap now! :icon_drool2:

S05 is a dirty strain when compared to Wyeast 1056 (or whitelabs 001)

S05 is for lazy sods with little or no taste perception.

cheers

Darren

I think the bottling yeast in LCPA is 514, not something you would bother culturing.
MHB

Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Seems to tie in with the fact that Fosters yeasts are apparently Carlsberg based as well. Have no interest in brewing the LCPA but the pilsener yeast............ this might tie in with my Bulimba Gold Top / draught experiments if I can get hold of a commercial pilsener type yeast related to Fosters strains as well. B) Very Interesting thread.

S05 is a dirty strain when compared to Wyeast 1056 (or whitelabs 001)

cheers

Darren

Can you explain a bit further?

I have used both when I want a neutral yeast character. I have a brew I put down two days ago that used 05 because I didn't trust my 1056 starter when I looked at it. I had thought they were a similar strain although my preference is for liquids with dried as back ups.

What differences can I expect?

Where's my can...

258Troll_spray.jpg

There it is!

Not really....NickJD

Dry US05 can (IMO) taste a little 'dusty' at times. In a high hopped APA it can be masked, however I'd be interested to see comparison results between APA's in comps using US05 and 1056/001 at similar IBU's.

Not really....NickJD

Dry US05 can (IMO) taste a little 'dusty' at times. In a high hopped APA it can be masked, however I'd be interested to see comparison results between APA's in comps using US05 and 1056/001.

I agree with Darren and Duff, I 'assumed' for ages that they were exactly the same. However after switching to 1056 and the ProCulture strain, my moderately hopped US style beers have improved remarkably.

so, ... to recapitulate,

Q] can I reculture little critters blah blah blah etc etc etc.
A] US05 is crap used by dickheads only

I luv US05 :wub: , must be a lazy prick with no taste.
Well, I am lazy but no too lazy to smack a pack and tip it into the fermenter,
that's easier than rehydrating the 05.

B ) Very Interesting thread.

I'm glad my ignorance has contributed something good to AHB!

And a big thanks to Alex for the helpful info. It seems pretty rare today to get input from the commercial guys, so it is much appreciated.

Edit: Stupid unintended emoticons

Latest posts

Back