Can I Sub Raw Sugar For White?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some suppliers of "raw sugar" don't use the first processed sugar at all as raw sugar, rather they will add molasses back into white sugar to make raw sugar along with a wetting agent.
You will probably find that's the stuff aldi use as it would more than likely be a cheap import.

Andrew

I've heard brown sugar is often made the same way.

Some suppliers of "raw sugar" don't use the first processed sugar at all as raw sugar, rather they will add molasses back into white sugar to make raw sugar along with a wetting agent.
You will probably find that's the stuff aldi use as it would more than likely be a cheap import.

Andrew

Checked the bag - which is rather sticky a bit like demarara sugar - (I always have a few in stock as I get mugged by lorikeets every day) and it's product of Australia. I've toured Millaquin (lived round the corner in Collins Street) and also took the kids round Mossman Mill on tour and I would have thought there would be slight differences due to the different setups at the mills. The ALDI stuff is probably from a mexican mill like Condong :ph34r:

Aldi being European probably bring in cheap communist euro sugar which is made from beet and does not have molasses as standard.

theory only no proof of what they do as no Aldi here. :icon_offtopic: .
Wait until they get Netto here how to spot the cheapskate he is the one with the Netto carrier bag. :icon_offtopic:

:icon_offtopic: Apart from the 'specialty goods' in the centre aisles, the vast majority of ALDI food products are Australian. One reason I support them, my son works on a pineapple farm. Go to Woolies or Coles and check where their canned own-brand pineapple comes from. Then check ALDI. good on them. They also contract Australian farmers for their fruit and veg on long term contracts and don't screw them down every season like Woolies do.
I bought some frozen chips from Woolies recently. Origin: Denmark ffs don't we grow potatoes in Australia? ALDI source theirs locally. With the fruit veg meat and dairy, any foreign products are clearly stated on the shelf labels.

Latest posts

Back