Can I Half Fill A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
Just a quick one. Can I half fill a keg, then gas it? If this was able to be done, I presume I would gas it for only half the time?
Thanks,
Cadbury.

G'day Men,
Just a quick one. Can I half fill a keg, then gas it? If this was able to be done, I presume I would gas it for only half the time?
Thanks,
Cadbury.

Can't see why not, just purge a little longer to fill the head space. Provided you are carbonating at serving pressure I'd still give it a week to be sure...

yes you can half fill a keg but you need to purge the air with Co2 to stop oxidation.

As for "gassing for half the time"....... it will still take the same time to absorb the desired gas at the temperature its sitting at and pressure its under.

I use 50 liter vessels for my kegorator and sometimes i make half batches at 27 liters for experiments. I use a line from the regulated gas side of the Co2 regulator and purge the air space over the half filled keg before i seal it up for carbing.

works fine..... you done have to empty your bottle trying to get it all out but some is better than none.

cheers

If you set your regulator to pouring pressure (typically 70kpa) & rock a half full keg vigorously it will carbonate very quickly.
Added bonus, you cannot over carbonate it this way.

cheers Ross

If you set your regulator to pouring pressure (typically 70kpa) & rock a half full keg vigorously it will carbonate very quickly.
Added bonus, you cannot over carbonate it this way.

cheers Ross

The Ross/Butters Slipper method?? :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back