Calculating Aa% For Homegrown Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonharley

Reaction score
Greetings

How do you calculate AA% for homegrown hops?

I am keen to 'grow my own' but concerned about overdoing the hops in a brew. Also I live in Brisbane ... what is the best hops to get that will grow locally ?

Cheers

5 eyes

I prefer to use my home grown hops later in the boil (with known AA hops at 60mins) - hence if the AA is out by a fair degree it wont ruin a good beer.

In saying that, you can aim for a mid point AA of whichever hop type you have.

A quick goodgle search found this:
Generic Hop Info linky

So for Chinook, you could estimate it at around 13%AA, however I tend to go on the lower side.

Also depends on when you picked your hops (I manage to pick mine too early this season!)

In saying that, you can aim for a mid point AA of whichever hop type you have.

A quick goodgle search found this:
Generic Hop Info linky

So for Chinook, you could estimate it at around 13%AA, however I tend to go on the lower side.

Also depends on when you picked your hops (I manage to pick mine too early this season!)

This is it.
Use the mid point of the known AA range of the variety & assess/adjust based on results of the finished beer.

smurto estimates 9% for Adelaide hills grown chinook.

I did a 10min IPA no-chilled, with melbourne grown chinook only in the cube and I allowed the cube hops as a 12 minute addition and there was virtually no bitterness in the brew. I would definitely estimate on the low side and I agree, your bittering should be with a known AA hop.

Latest posts

Back