Calculate Fermentability Of Ginger Juice ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupal

Reaction score
How can i calculate the Fermentability of Ginger Juice, without actually Fermenting it ?
For example, if i add 1 Litre of pure juice from ginger to 20 L of water Pitch Yeast & let it Ferment Out, how much % Alcohol will it produce ?
I have a Hydrometer & also have Beersmith if it helps.

Cheers

No way to tell without doing a fermentation trial, just enough to fill a hydrometer test jar is all you need.
At a guess the Sugar content of ginger juice isnt going to be very high.
MHB

As mark said you would best do a small trial.
I would imagine that the amount of straight ginger juice being added to a brew would make SFA differance. Even a batch of ginger beer using a kilo or so of ginger root would equate to a fairly small ammount of actual ginger juice (t bloody potent stuff too)

Cheers
James

Sorry for the late reply.... In that case i won't bother doing a test, 2% is bugger all sugar.

I the meantime though, i worked out how to make the ULTIMATE sweet ginger beer without Kegging, crash chilling or killing the yeast.
I found out that Xylitol is 100% non fermentable (By Beer Yeast's) & gram to gram has the same sweetness as sugar, it actually tastes & has the same feel as sugar.
The only thing i read was it can have a slight laxative effect, but i have been chewing Xylitol Gum for months now & have not noticed it.
I tried Lactose once but it doesn't have the same type of sweetening as Sugar or Xylitol.
Only thing is it's $30 for 2kg. Link: http://www.nirvanahealthproducts.com/index.php?cPath=2
I will do a test soon with a Ginger Beer i brew & report back.

cheers - Rupal

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of Ginger Beer Kits use artificial sweeter. I did a kit using Coopers Ginger beer and it had quite an unpleasant artificial sweater flavour. Maybe Xylitol is different.

Xylitol has a pronounced cooling effect, which is one of the reasons why it's so good in chewing gum. Not so great in beverages though, and if memory serves the amount you'd need to sweeten beverages would likely give you the hershey squirts after a night on the turps

if you want to add unfermentable sweetness maybe try stevia. It is a plant based extract that i have been playing around with.

if you want to add unfermentable sweetness maybe try stevia. It is a plant based extract that i have been playing around with.

I made 2 L or stevia extract once from dried stevia leafs. Only thing about stevia is the flavour it has can be a bit overpowering.

Is it something that is (easily) available here in Australia?

Yes ant it tastes like licorice.

Back