C02 Cylinder Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez. The corneys may be a lot cheaper over there but C02 is expensive.
I bought a 6kg cylinder last month with no deposit for £22. This is the standard price.
Corneys on the other hand are around £70 used and £110 new (AEB).

Isn't it cheaper to import an empty cylinder and have it refilled?

anthonyUK said:
Jeez. The corneys may be a lot cheaper over there but C02 is expensive.
I bought a 6kg cylinder last month with no deposit for £22. This is the standard price.
Corneys on the other hand are around £70 used and £110 new (AEB).

Isn't it cheaper to import an empty cylinder and have it refilled?
Haha my misses is back home in the UK now, might see if she can smuggle back an empty CO2 bottle ;)

UKDavo said:
Haha my misses is back home in the UK now, might see if she can smuggle back an empty CO2 bottle ;)
untill you try to have it filled

likely to need local pressure testing and maybe wont pass aussie ADR

Or you can hire from Elgas. $8.25 a month, $20 refill on 6kg bottle and they come to you to swap the bottle over.

Matt Browne said:
Or you can hire from Elgas. $8.25 a month, $20 refill on 6kg bottle and they come to you to swap the bottle over.
Thanks man! I'll give them a call on Monday.

Their website looked like it only hired out to corporate companies :S.

It will still work out cheaper to front up and buy your own bottle, unless of course you own a commercial brewery and using bulk C02

There's a few different roads you can go down here.

You can naturally carb your keg (as you would with bottles) then push the beer out with a keg charger. This uses little 12g co2 bulbs.

You can hire a c02 bottle from BOC,

You and get a soda stream adapter for your regulator ($22-25) and use sodastream bottles $49 new $19 refills.

You can buy the bottle outright from some one like keg king and then you just pay for refills this ends up being cheaper long term.

2.4kg - $199 / $25 refill
6kg - $249 / $50 refill

Easiest option for most is committing to a bottle and carbonating with the co2 and gives you the flexibility to upsize later on. Horses for courses though.
Hi guys Mick0269 here sorry to tell you but a full 6kg bottle is$84.95 and a 2.6kg is $74.95 as of20/10/2019 from cheeky peak. This is the best price I have found in the last 6.5 hours. Hope it helps cheers.

Latest posts

Back