Byo July-august 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Staying home looking after the sick family today, so finally a highlight.
In the mailbox is the July/August issue of BYO.

Looks like a great article by Mike Henriff on Saison.

So you guys should all be seeing it turnup this week in your post boxes.

Beers,
Doc

Finally got mine today! Style profile is the Nth German Pils as well, I think a lager will be my next brew so perhaps this will be some inspiraion?

Starting to wonder when my subscription runs out?

I got mine on Tuesday - same day as the May-June Zymurgy hit the mail box.

Quite handy really, because the trams are offline in Adelaide just now, and the buses add another 20 minutes to the commute, so I needed additional reading material.

Also a chance to do a bit of a comparison between the two mags, whilst they are side by side, and fresh in the mind.

Zymurgy has undergone a revamp in the last year, and has a much more glossy and professional feel to it. If anything the paper stock of Zymurgy is thicker and more luxurious now. Both are 64 pages long, but my hop scales say BYO is 140g and Zymurgy 180g.

But, on to more weighty matters - content. Both have evolved into a similar format, 4 to 5 lead articles supported by regular columns.

This issue Zymurgy demonstrates that it is the home journal of the AMERICAN homebrewers association with lead article on 1) Beer in Colonial America, 2) Beer in Baltimore (home of the 2005 AHA conference), 3) Posting beer to comps in the US. The other lead articles are pretty esoteric - 4) Sorghum beer making in Burkina Faso!, and 5) Homebrewing for new dads.

BYO this issue leads with 1) Annual label contest, 2) Recipes of 10 summer beers (we are talking Northern hemisphere, remember). 3) International Lagers - recipe for Heineken clone and discussion of other "green bottle" euro lagers, 4) Saison - profile and recipes, 5) North German style profile and recipe (this is is part of a regular series on beer styles - but is substantial enough to count as a lead article on its own.

Both have technique sections, newsy bits, "dear professor/wizard help coloumns", letters etc.

If you are looking for recipes in a mag, BYO has 19, Zymurgy 7, though the Zymurgy editor promises more in future (7 must be an all time low for the mag).

Zymurgy's geeky bits are probably a bit more geeky- the technique article on maximizing your mash has my eyes spinning, even though I have yet to read it!

This time round I will be getting a lot more use out of BYO, but that is not always the case.

Once a year Zymurgy produces an "annual" special edition, which can almost be worth the price of admission itself.

Happy to share them around Adelaide flocculators of all sizes, perhaips give me a week or so to get through with them first though.

awrabest, stu

JasonY,

I was wondering the same thing. Were you one of the rush of subscribers from the forum around August/September (from memory) last year? That was when I signed up and I think that means this issue might be the last for me unless I sign back up. Pretty sure I will. This months is a good issue.

Shawn.

Gough said:
Were you one of the rush of subscribers from the forum around August/September (from memory) last year?

Yer pretty sure I was, I am 80% the way to biting the bullet and subscribing again. Was tossing up between BYO & Zymurgy (thanks for the review stu). Still undecided but will probably stick with BYO.

Just bought this from grain and grape as I wanted to see the 'green bottle' article as I am a lover of becks in the summer with BBQ's.

Anyway with their sample recipe I was wondering about this hops, it was for heineken however I would say they are all similar.

The hops they had were:

12 grams of 16AA Magnum @ 60 Mins

And then

3.5 grams of Saaz hops @ 15 mins

this is it, I would have thought this was rather low for the flavour hops, anyone have any insite on this at all?

I would have thought 20 grams minimum..

This is for a 23 litre batch.

Thanks

Not sure of the hopping rates, but all the BYO recipes are for 19 litres and from memory 70-75% efficiency.
In the front few pages they detail the specs for the recipes (eg. batch size and efficiency).

Beers,
Doc

Yeah this one in the end is for a 19 litre batch too however they make it to 19 litres (25IBU and 6%) then water it down to to the 23 litre mark (21IBU and 5%)

It says this is how the "green bottle" beers are made...

Slugger

I think even 'green can' beers are made this way... Ferment a higher gravity wort & adding some soda water at bottling allows increased production without increasing tankage....

Asher for now

Doc said:
Not sure of the hopping rates, but all the BYO recipes are for 19 litres and from memory 70-75% efficiency.
In the front few pages they detail the specs for the recipes (eg. batch size and efficiency).

Beers,
Doc
[post="69077"][/post]​

Doc,

I recall that the BYO recipes are designed to account for a low 65% mash efficiency...
For those inexperienced with mashing, this might be an accurate efficiency.

Buggered if I can get my efficiency so low.

Seth :p

Back