milky beer with hop bits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkgirl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I put a beez neez clone in the fermenter a few weeks ago. I used a Wals wheat can, 1.5 kg wheat malt, 0.5kg honey. My better LHBS recommended a Pale Ale flavour pack ( 200g Malted Crystal & Carapils + 13g Cascade hops)

The beer was going great in the fermenter, with good colour, flavour & good head in SG testing. Then there was a sudden drop in temps, so the beer was then maintained @ approx 18-20 deg C via external heat.

Then I got sick, and was too sick to handle the smell when testing, so there was no testing for 2 weeks

The beer has been in the fermenter with no action for a week now. On testing yesterday with a view to bottling, beer going into the testing tube is milky with bits of hop settling to the bottom of the tube, flat & not at all clear. Taste is very beery which I think will improve after bottling, but still has a good head. (Final alcohol looks to be 6.48%)

I am not sure if the hop bits are somehow in suspension within the liquid, or if I am pulling sediment into the tube when decanting, & I have not opened the lid yet as I dont want to contaminate before bottling.

Does this sound like it could be possible? Should I add finings or maybe set up a siphon from the top via the airlock hole?

Or is my beer ruined :( ?

Why would it be ruined? If it tastes and smells like beer, it probably is. Give the gunk some time to settle, add finings once fermentation has subsided.

thanks Manticle

How much time? its been in the fermenter just on 4 weeks now

Wheat beers will naturally be cloudy anyway, but they shouldn't be chunky.

+1 for if it tastes like beer it is!

Drink, enjoy and work out how you'd improve it for next time.

What was the yeast and are you hoping for hefeweizen? If so, it's the only beer ztyle I'd consider not trying to clarify.

manticle said:
What was the yeast and are you hoping for hefeweizen? If so, it's the only beer ztyle I'd consider not trying to clarify.
With the addition of Cascade I'd think American Wheat was where Hawkgirl was heading. Would be interesting to know which yeast, hopefully an american ale strain or even the coopers yeast would work for American Wheat. Not sure a Hefe strain would work too well with Cascade, banana clove and citrus.... hmmmm.

My favorite American wheat so far was hopped with all Motueka, and next I'm going to try Motueka and Horizon. Motueka is more assertive than the nobles, less than C hops, but has a balanced profile that goes with wheat (In the grist I also use a bit of very light cryslat such as Carahell or Gladfield Toffee).

Beez Neez clone as per OP. Interesting from the Matilda Bay website, use PoR to bitter !

Beez Neez Brew Info
Beez Neez Brew Info
The story
First created as a Christmas surprise for staff at honey-makers Capilano from their bosses, this handcrafted wheat beer, with the addition of pure light amber honey, turned out so well it eventually became a Matilda Bay stalwart.

The styleHoney Malt
This unique brew has a light malt palate with a distinct honey aroma and flavour plus a hint of bitterness. Clean, crisp and dry on the palate and surprisingly refreshing.

The craft
We brew Beez Neez with a blend of premium pale malted barley and malted wheats, then add Pride of Ringwood hops and pure light amber honey to the kettle to produce a beer that tastes like no other. This light golden coloured beer has a malty, honeyed palate but is decidedly dry, as the honey sugars have been fermented to alcohol.

The match
In the versatility stakes, Beez Neez is a very capable and friendly beer, agreeable to most types of food — from Asian style meals through to dessert. Try it as a dessert wine substitute, it goes well with a cheese platter or honeycomb inspired dish.

Vital stats
BIRTHDATE 1996
ABV 4.7%
IBU 15
HOPS Pride of Ringwood
MALTS Pale, Wheat

thanks guys

turns out it was indeed pulling sediment out via the tap, as the brew was clear at the top when opened for addition of finings.
Fixed by bottling via siphon from the top.

You will all be pleased to hear that my first beer of approx 6.75% alcohol has been very well received by my beer drinking test pilots :chug: with several requests for another batch & offers of payment to procure said finished product. :party:

To which you no doubt replied 'thanks I'm flattered but selling my homebrew would be utterly illegal'.

Glad it turned out well.

hawkgirl said:
turns out it was indeed pulling sediment out via the tap, as the brew was clear at the top when opened for addition of finings.
Fixed by bottling via siphon from the top.
This is pretty standard. Not sure how others feel about it but I figure that, if I'm bottling then I will end up with a bottle or two that will be cloudier than the rest as I will pick up a little trub initially and then some at the end as well. If I'm kegging then I figure it will settle in the keg and my first couple of pours will be cloudy and the rest will be fine.

Back