Buyer Beware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a retailer needs to understand that their competotors will get the business if they don't get the act together. Sure, things happen sometimes, but ongoing communication is the key. Part of the reason I choose the two HBS I use for my stuff (Pat @ Absolute Home brew and Dave @ Dave's Home Brew) is that they are super-fast, and they are very friendly, and their prices are generally no worse or better than anywhere else, but even if it was a few bucks more over a hundred dollar order, I would pay the extra for the comfort that their service is great.

Bud, you're probably going to get your goods, it will just take a bit longer than anticipated - or you'll get a refund if stuff is out of stock. I guess for now patience needs to be your friend.

Just a quick one on Absolute Homebrew
I ordered some odds and ends (E-shop) and it was later than expected. Sent an e-mail and got an apology and an expected delivery date. When it did arrive there was an extra grain enhancer pack and an apology note for the slight delay.

Thumbs up to them for service and friendliness.

BGL

Do the owners of ESB have an AHB account? Presumably they would at least keep an eye on the forum- I'm not saying "they should have seen this thread by now", but wondering to what extent they monitor what's going on here.

They are probably not addicted to sitting on this site during work hours like therest of us! :p :lol:

+1 for Ross @ Craftbrewer.

Yet to use any of the other sponsors as yet.

Did you tell them you followed a link from this site?
Did you ask how often their site is updated or suggest it be done more often if they are going to sponser AHB as it is fairly high traffic.
Did you speak to an owner/manager about it before you posted here?
Buyer Beware is a bit dramatic for a thread title when all it cost you was time.

I can not tell if their online business is any good as I have never had to use it.
By the sound of things, it is not their Forte.

I have dealt with the guys at both shops of the ESB business and found no problem and been able to get the information of what's available straight away and been able to order in equipment and ingredient on that are listed on their site.
The time frame is usually a week or so if it is not available in the shop.

Occasionally these guys have had trouble with supplier or manufactures which have delayed thing.

Best advice to any one dealing with a online shop is to shoot them an e-mail or ring them up prior to get yourself a contact name before you buy.
This way you get an idea of what and whom you are dealing with.

It be great if every one is as courteous and efficient as the people at CraftBrewers.

Maybe a good goal post for ESB ;)

(But it was annoying getting PMs in the beginning of all the hops and stuff)
cheers Ross for leaving me alone :lol:

Ross n crew are the mark where other retailers should be aiming for...5 star goods and service. even for me down here in Tassie. I also deal with GnG and Wayne...Both are great as well. Had a few transactions with ESB, there ok by me...but not in the same ballpark as the others.
O/T
I am visiting Brisbane next week...for two weeks. My Other Half lives in Brisbane. I will be taking a "tour" of Ross's shop..have the wallet and credit card handy...just in case...have been forwarned by the above...
Cheers

Grain and Grape are also really great when you go there in person. Their site leaves a little to be desired when compared to Craft brewer but their in person service si great and so is their range of gear.

Be careful criticising the G&G website around these parts. Them's are fighting words.

The true message here is that if anyone know the blokes at ESB, can they be made aware of these complaints. As a sponsor of this site, these guys are after our custom. I won't allow people, particularly those who have never dealt with ESB, to denigrate them without cause. Budwiser's complaint is a genuine one that does not look good and he has every right to feel pissed off. I believe ESB can and should do better if they wish to attract customers. The main thing is for them to be made aware. They are in an important strategic position in Sydney (ie south eastern area) which isn't well served with HBS. Personally I'd prefer them to be a strong player in the market cos they offer a great range of products (on paper).

So, who tells them ?

I'm with ya, these guys are supplying a fairly hard to find product in general, so good on 'em for being there. And they have a nice range of hops and malts.

I had the delayed shipment once with them, with no communications, but rang them up, they apoligised, and send it right a way. Turns out, something was different in the order than was expecting, and were waiting to contact me before sending.

I've only had one real problem with them and that was those bloody vacuum sealed yellow hop packets that they package the 100g hops in. On two separate occasions, I had 2 hop bags burst their bottoms out, spilling all my hops over the filthy kitchen floor, wasn't a happy camper. I wasn't doing anything extreme to them, they were just dodgy bags, so I sent them an email as an FYI and never heard back....

Haven't been back since though, however, would do if they had something I couldn't find closer to home.

my 2cts

Rob

Did you ask how often their site is updated or suggest it be done more often if they are going to sponser AHB as it is fairly high traffic.
Buyer Beware is a bit dramatic for a thread title when all it cost you was time.
Got to agree "Buyer Beware " is way to strong, nothing was lost , I could understand if they had ripped you off.Some times I wonder what agenda's people have when the start these type of threads. <_<
GB

I have dealt with ESB on a few occasions and have been very happy every time.

Only once by the web site and postage which turned out fine, and more so using the web site then calling and placing the order over the phone and picking up.
Even if not picking up I would always call first to make sure stock is in hand, only exception to this is with Ross as his site states availabilies - apologies if others do, I just havn't gotton around to ordering from you yet!

I agree with Gryphon that the subject line is a bit to strong, but I also agree that these issues can and should be raised as this is a public forum.
End of the day I will continue to shop with ESB and all the others.

G&G are great. Great range and friendly staff. I remember Chris from when i was a little fella and he lived in Seymour. I sent them an e-mail once and he remembered my family name. Ross at Craftbrewer is great and Grypon Brewing were also quick to respond and deliver when i used them once.

Do the owners of ESB have an AHB account? Presumably they would at least keep an eye on the forum- I'm not saying "they should have seen this thread by now", but wondering to what extent they monitor what's going on here.

By my conversation with them I would have to say they don't monitor it at all.
After 11 days they didn't even know they had an order. The conformation email was produced automatically they said.
When asked why they didn't tell us there was no POR in stock, he said rather sheepishly...."we do the best we can".....
Didn't tell us it was out of stock, and didn't bother to reply at all....even with another kilo of hops on the order.
Why???? because they don't read their own emails to the order department (who ever that might be)
some plastics company by the email addy.
So, if anyone knows them personally, tell them. I would have thought they might have got some message from me this morning....but I doubt it.
It was a guy in a brew shop we had to call the second time......does anyone think he will tell his boss that he hasn't read his emails for 11 days????? I sure don't. :(

Cheers,
Bud

No to all of the above, and I didn't kiss their arse either.

Cheers,
Bud

Perhaps the appropriate words are 'some create the expectations that all must either follow, or be pillocked on AHB by!'

Very different businesses, but what was the outcome of the beer?

Scotty

As buyers anywhere, we have a level of expectation - McDonalds, Woolies, the local chippy, CB, Caloundra Homebrew, Shell... whatever. They all have their stories, of differing levels of service, but they do adhere to miniumum service levels,and, as attested here tonite CB, MHB and G&G more often than not exceed the expectations of their customers - that's great service! Good on you all.

But when you don't even get the minimum expected level of service - that a reasonable consumer can expect, let them know. Eshew diplomacy! They need the honest feedback so they can amend their process if they choose to.

Good on Budwiser to raising it -there is a greater chance ESB will hear about it somehow and do something about it.

InCider.

Don't you just hate it when you send an email in good faith and for some reason it doesn't get thru / gets lost / isn't read :rolleyes:

Not good on the phone response tho.

O/T
I am visiting Brisbane next week...for two weeks. My Other Half lives in Brisbane. I will be taking a "tour" of Ross's shop..have the wallet and credit card handy...just in case...have been forwarned by the above...
Cheers

As well as wallet and credit card, go to Bunnings first and obtain a hand trolley :)

I understand fully where Budwiser is coming from, in our Restaurant, we have lost multiple thousand $$ functions due to not responding to peoples requests for Information or whatever they need A.S.A.P.. Yes, we all have lives, but Business is Business, and your Business depends on Customers to survive, and if we dont service them(within reason in our game), they will just go somewhere else.. Plenty of other places willing to take your money, especially here, some of the better suppliers..

Fact is, surely they know about this forum/community and if they have done their research, they would know that they could get a bad rap on here for poor service, does anyone know a bigger homebrew forum here in Australia??

My other thought is, especially with Suppliers I use that give me shit service(I go elsewhere), is that "THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY AND DONT NEED US SMALL PEOPLE"

Cheers
CB
:beer:

No to all of the above, and I didn't kiss their arse either.

Cheers,
Bud

So you waited for stuff you didnt get charged for,then came on here and complained about it without raising the issue with the business involved.
What is that going to achieve?
If they dont know they cant fix it.

So you waited for stuff you didnt get charged for,then came on here and complained about it without raising the issue with the business involved.
What is that going to achieve?
If they dont know they cant fix it.

Have you actually read the first post???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back