Bulk priming question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
After getting hundreds of bottles that are gushers using carb drops lately. I've read about bulk priming quite a bit. And was just wondering if on beersmith it says corn sugar do I need to a conversion to our sugar or not really.

Also is there a guide to how much co2 level I need. And is there a good guide for the process of bulk priming

mrsupraboy said:
After getting hundreds of bottles that are gushers using carb drops lately. I've read about bulk priming quite a bit. And was just wondering if on beersmith it says corn sugar do I need to a conversion to our sugar or not really.

Also is there a guide to how much co2 level I need. And is there a good guide for the process of bulk priming
I've been having the same problem a lot lately, never thought it could be the carb drops
Yet another variable to figure out now...

sp0rk said:
I've been having the same problem a lot lately, never thought it could be the carb drops
Yet another variable to figure out now...
I never had the problem with can kits but anything more than that. Partials or grain do it

Be sure your brew is fermented out to completion before bottling. You don't want too much going on in your bottles, which will lead to gushers or explosions.
When I bulk-prime, I mix 3/4 cup dextrose per 5 gallon batch. Up to a full cup would be OK for extra carbonation. I use a bit less for old/strong style ales to keep the carbonation lower.

Putrino is a fan of his own advice. Good way to chalk up that like tally.

I believe corn sugar is what the Yanks call it. Here we call it dextrose. Do a search for bulk priming calculator or the links above and there should be more details on those pages. Personally I go 180g per 23l batch for ales. Up or down accordingly depending on style.

Hey, I like your advice too Wiggman. I just really like my own stuff a lot ;)

I tried bulk priming with DME in a porter recently. I'm a big fan, adds to the body and head retention. Takes a bit longer to carb up and a little more sediment but I don't mind that in a dark beer. I had a go because when I was doing extracts I always seen to have a little DME left over.

Cheers
Beercus

Back