Bulk Buy Awri 350 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg.L

Reaction score
Andrew Lea has recommended Maurivin AWRI 350 as the yeast used at the Long Ashton cider research station in the 1970s. It is supposed to produce fruity ester character, low h2s and good flocculation, so sounds good for cider from storebought juice as well as fresh juice. It has poor tolerance of low temperatures as well, so should be easier than most yeasts to stop fermentation with "cold crashing" to keep residual sugar. The tech sheet is here

Unfortunately it is only available in 500g packs at $170, so its not going to be affordable unless a few people share the cost. I don't mind organising a bulk buy if anyone is interested. Maybe 25g lots (would do about 100L) for $8.50. If you are interested reply to this thread, don't PM me.

Greg

Andrew Lea has recommended Maurivin AWRI 350 as the yeast used at the Long Ashton cider research station in the 1970s. It is supposed to produce fruity ester character, low h2s and good flocculation, so sounds good for cider from storebought juice as well as fresh juice. It has poor tolerance of low temperatures as well, so should be easier than most yeasts to stop fermentation with "cold crashing" to keep residual sugar. The tech sheet is here

Unfortunately it is only available in 500g packs at $170, so its not going to be affordable unless a few people share the cost. I don't mind organising a bulk buy if anyone is interested. Maybe 25g lots (would do about 100L) for $8.50. If you are interested reply to this thread, don't PM me.

Greg
I'm keen, but don't forget to ask Dane first :) And also post in the Bulk Buys forum.

Cheers,

Clint

I'd be interested in 25g maybe 50g if it helps.

Sounds like there's definitely enough interest. I'll send you all a pm when I work out postage costs (which will be on top of the $8.50/25g, standard AP rates)

Greg

Received my yeast a couple of days ago.

Thanks for organising. Looking forward to trying it out on a few ciders.

Shit sorry Greg completely forgot about this. Will send funds out today.

Cheers

This bulk buy is now closed. Sorry if anyone missed out because of poor communication. If anyone who paid doesn't receive their yeast let me know. Please post your experiences of the yeast on the non-beer forum, would love to hear people's experiences.

Hey Greg do you have any links to a good cider recipe?

I was thinking something along the lines of

15L Berri apple juice
6L apple and pear
250g lactose

I have not made a cider before.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back