Bulk Buy Awri 350 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, I make cider from fresh juice, juice + yeast + mlf culture, that's about it. It's more a process than a recipe. The main consideration is whether you want residual sweetness or not. With the AWRI350 yeast you can "cold crash" by cooling the cider before fermentation is finished, then keg and force carbonate, should make a nice drink if you keg. The other alternative is to backsweeten and pasteurise, this also gives a good drink if you bottle. Myself, I like dry cider so I ferment dry then bottle carbonate with priming sugar. It depends what you want. Hopefully the "fruity ester" character from AWRI350 should give a tasty cider, but I have never tried it so we will have to see. Some people use lactose for sweetness, but there is a bit of a danger that spoilage bacteria will use the lactose and cause off flavours. I haven't tried it myself.

Greg

Cheer Greg. Got my yeast in the post today.

Getting on a cider this weekend before the warmer weather kicks in (still some cold days here in melbourne at the moment)

Cheers Greg got my yeast today and will be dropping a cider down in the morning.

Cheers

Is there a thread going for this yeast in the non beer forum? I put my first cider down using this yeast on saturday. First time I have heard a brew fermenting. I have a glad wrap lid and it sounds like a fizzy drink being poured.

Cheers

Brad, you should start a new thread, tell us how it goes.

how did everyones cider go? completely forgot about the yeast in the fridge until other day, i too can can now hear mine "fizzing"

Waiting till summer is gone before I make another cider. I like to ferment my ciders cool.

Hoping to get my wine grape crusher (doubles as a scratter) and small fruit press into action in autumn.

how did everyones cider go? completely forgot about the yeast in the fridge until other day, i too can can now hear mine "fizzing"
Has turned out good. First one was better because I CCd at a good gravity. The second one is still good but alot dryer because I let it do its thing til it was finished.
Wife cant believe she is on to her second keg, although it did take a few months to get through her first with a bit of help along the way.

Waiting till summer is gone before I make another cider. I like to ferment my ciders cool.

Hoping to get my wine grape crusher (doubles as a scratter) and small fruit press into action in autumn.
Manticle can you use grape juice to make a sparkling wine of sorts? I thought about this a while ago but thought there would be heaps more to but didnt research.

Cheers

Manticle can you use grape juice to make a sparkling wine of sorts? I thought about this a while ago but thought there would be heaps more to but didnt research.

Cheers

I'd love to answer you more accurately but despite best intentions, my winemaking adventures have been almost non-existent. I did make about 5L of very average, very dry white wine from a work colleague's home grape vine which I used mainly for cooking but the rest is for the future.

I believe, from what I have read, that winemaking at heart is similar to cider making - eg juice and yeast are all that is required, yeast grows on the fruit skins if you want to take that road and acid additions can help deliver complexity if the fruit is lacking.

Presumably preservative free grape juice would ferment into some kind of wine. Viticulrurists, wine makers and wine connoisseurs might turn their noses. Easy enough to buy one bottle, take a bit out, add some yeast, seal up not quite tight and see how she fares.

Hopefully this season (before April) sees me get some reasonable red wine making grapes. If my first batch doesn't win a gold medal I won't mind - just want to get things underway and learn as I go.

Back