Bulk Buy: 240v Food Grade Magnetic Drive Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safety in numbers I say....

Wolfy: 1x MP-15RM
jonsey32: 1x MP-15RM
YippieKayYay: 1 x MP-15R
I like beer: 1x MP-15RM
Beerdrinkingbob 1 x MP-20rm
AnotherAsh 1x MP-15RM
ArnieW: 1x MP-15RM
Ratchie 1x MP-20RM
Gobern 1x MP -15RM
MattC 1 x MP - 15RM

Tis the 15RM that have the 1/2inch external diameter thread yeah?

Cheers

Easier to just buy from here ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/52914...holesalers.html

Much less stuffing around....
One of the vendors of those pumps has replied to say the ones listed are not food grade, the usual operating temperature is under 80degC and it may only work at 100degC for seconds. But they they can offer food grade materials (I presume at a higher cost) but to work at 100degC needs custom-tailor work and they'd not do that for 10 units.

Yep MattC 15RM has 1/2 inch threaded connections (at least thats the way I read the specs).

The list below provides the order of 10 pumps that should minimize the international shipping costs.
(There may be room for 1 or 2 more, it depends on the combined weight)

AnotherAsh 1x MP-15RM
Ratchie 1x MP-20RM
Gobern 1x MP -15RM
MattC 1 x MP - 15RM

Pending confirmation from the supplier (and a short time to check the suitability of the pumps linked by Odorono) I'll post final shipping costs, and then send details via PM.

There is no pressure to place an order, if anyone wants to change their mind, pull out, go with something different or nothing at all, it's totally fine (as long as that's done before the order is confirmed with the supplier!)

but its the same model number? what did the other vendor say? what was the price for food grade?

This would save you alot of time and piss farting around Wolfy if they could just order direct via DHL from China, just saying..

One of the vendors of those pumps has replied to say the ones listed are not food grade, the usual operating temperature is under 80degC and it may only work at 100degC for seconds. But they they can offer food grade materials (I presume at a higher cost) but to work at 100degC needs custom-tailor work and they'd not do that for 10 units.

but its the same model number? what did the other vendor say? what was the price for food grade?

This would save you alot of time and piss farting around Wolfy if they could just order direct via DHL from China, just saying..
Saves trouble and is marginally cheaper.

Only one vendor has replied so far (no material/data/tech sheets/info yet).
The pump advertised is not food grade, but they can change fittings so that it will be (I don't know if/what additional cost).
Due to 'conventional materials' if it's used over 80degC themal expansion might occur and they can't ensure the service of the pump.
... he's suggested I buy one and test it. ;)

BTW: The lady I was emailing about the Bulk Buy has confirmed the cheap/low shipping rates for 9 MP-15 pumps and 2 MP-20 pumps.

AnotherAsh 1x MP-15RM
Ratchie 1x MP-20RM
Gobern 1x MP -15RM
MattC 1 x MP - 15RM
Stormahead 1 x MP - 15RM

But isn't that the whole point of a bulk buy, get it as cheap as you can?

might be good to look at theses to? i see it operates up to 80c but maybe the "upgrade" to the unit may come in cheaper to?
Just an idea
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/61873...holesalers.html
Been looking at those, website/more specs here: http://kaixinpump.en.alibaba.com/
However, they don't have a 1/2 inch threaded fitting pump, the MP-15RM is a 3/4 inch fitting (which was confirmed in email, and is not a mistake).

On the page of that link it shows two pictures the outlets look like two different sizes...

a little confusing but may be worth research a little more may get a better deal.. I'd even get one just for my transfer from HLT to MLT never goes over 80c.

Been looking at those, website/more specs here: http://kaixinpump.en.alibaba.com/
However, they don't have a 1/2 inch threaded fitting pump, the MP-15RM is a 3/4 inch fitting (which was confirmed in email, and is either wrong and I know more about their product than they do, or it's right and not appropriate for what I want).

I'd even get one just for my transfer from HLT to MLT never goes over 80c.

You wouldn't normally go over 80 going from your MLT -> Kettle either would you?

The only time i'd see a need to use it above 80 is either pumping out of the kettle, or when pumping boiling water through for cleaning.

Correct but I already have one for my Kettle for chilling/resirc I wanna do Fly Sparging also, could have explained better but its friday :)
You wouldn't normally go over 80 going from your MLT -> Kettle either would you?

The only time i'd see a need to use it above 80 is either pumping out of the kettle, or when pumping boiling water through for cleaning.

AnotherAsh 1x MP-15RM
Ratchie 1x MP-20RM
Gobern 1x MP -15RM
MattC 1 x MP - 15RM
Stormahead 1 x MP - 15RM
Shaunous 1x MP-15RM

On the page of that link it shows two pictures the outlets look like two different sizes...

a little confusing but may be worth research a little more may get a better deal.. I'd even get one just for my transfer from HLT to MLT never goes over 80c.
This vendor was very clear about the fact that their pumps do not have a 1/2 inch threaded fitting size, I asked it twice and he explained it in email. He's also concerned about the pump not working at high temperatures, has not been able to provide me with material/product data-sheets or convince me that the pumps are 'food grade'.
For those reasons the pumps he sells are not suitable for what I want, however he seems to be a great guy to deal with, and the pumps are cheap, so there is no reason why others can't deal with and buy from him.

It's also possible that any pump - including the ones offered in the Bulk Buy - that look similar, have the same product codes etc, could be all be made at the same factory, by the same company and hence all have the same issues (except for the 1/2 inch thread which might be old stock sitting at a distributor). It's also possible that the company/price/person linked above is the manufacturer and the Bulk Buy Vendor is a down-stream distributor (hence the difference in price).

Shame.... mate got one from ali and it said it was a 3/4" and it came with a 1/2".. but might have been more luck than anything. (this was a green pump)

This vendor was very clear about the fact that their pumps do not have a 1/2 inch threaded fitting size, I asked it twice and he explained it in email. He's also concerned about the pump not working at high temperatures, has not been able to provide me with material/product data-sheets or convince me that the pumps are 'food grade'.
For those reasons the pumps he sells are not suitable for what I want, however he seems to be a great guy to deal with, and the pumps are cheap, so there is no reason why others can't deal with and buy from him.

It's also possible that any pump - including the ones offered in the Bulk Buy - that look similar, have the same product codes etc, could be all be made at the same factory, by the same company and hence all have the same issues (except for the 1/2 inch thread which might be old stock sitting at a distributor). It's also possible that the company/price/person linked above is the manufacturer and the Bulk Buy Vendor is a down-stream distributor (hence the difference in price).

Shame.... mate got one from ali and it said it was a 3/4" and it came with a 1/2".. but might have been more luck than anything. (this was a green pump)
MP-15RM with 1/2 inch thread is old stock (perhaps by extension green pumps are too) if I really wanted one 'storage staff' could check what other buyers have in storage, however I couldn't order 10 of them because that would require refitting machines (and lots of expense).

Final Costs:
Model: MP-15R / MP-15RM AUD$59.00 (USD$48.00 ea + USD$11.00 International postage)

Model: MP-20R / MP-20RM AUD$68.00 (USD$53.00 ea + USD$15.00 International postage)

Add $11.40 (3kg Australia Post post-pack) if postage within Australia is required (or pickup from me, MB meetings or some other way here in Melbourne)

Payment notes:
  • As of right now the PayPal AUD$/US$ payment conversion is 99.81, so the AUD$ price is accurate to within 10c.
  • The above amount assumes that you have a PayPal account and make a 'Personal Payment' from your PayPal balance or bank account.
  • If you don't have PayPal account, don't make a 'Personal Payment' or pay by Credit Card, the cost will increase by the PayPal transaction fee: 2.4% + 30c
    (MP-15R: $60.72, MP-15R + local postage: $72.39, MP-20R: $69.93, MP-20R + local postage: $81.60)
Once orders are confirmed and paid it cannot be changed.
Due to possible changes with the AUD$ exchange rate, and the vendor, order confirmation/payment is due ASAP.
Since 2x MP-20 are included in the order, the vendor can't ship 12 pumps at the discounted shipping rate.
This means that the last two people on the list are going to miss out, and so there is essentially a 'waiting list', so if anyone on the list wants to change their mind, remove their order, and not participate in the Bulk Buy - for any reason - that is totally fine.

Conclusions
I am not a vendor, retailer, distributor, chemist, electrical engineer, materials engineer or similar professional, so there is an element of uncertainty in purchasing the product, each person should consider the information provided and decide for themselves.
(Don't blame me - or AHB - if it does not work or does not work as intended, or if you do blame me, know there is not anything I - or AHB - can do about it!).
After numerous emails and a telephone call with various pump vendors, manufacturers and distributors, my uneducated conclusions about the Bulk Buy Pumps are as follows:
  • The pumps should be made from 'food grade' materials (primarily Polypropylene) and should remain 'food grade' at the temperatures they will likely be used at.
  • The pumps should work continuously and without issue at 80 to 85degC and below.
  • The pumps may not be expected to operate continuously at 100degC. The exact time and if/how they operate pumping boiling water/wort is uncertain, the vendor suggests 1 hour will be fine, other suppliers and manufacturers suggest shorter periods or would not sell similar pumps for with that purpose in mind.
  • There are various suppliers, distributors, manufacturers and vendors selling pumps that look very similar (even have the same model number/details), they may or may not be the same, and they may or may not be made in the same factory.
  • The only other similar pump I could find cheaper (by $4) was not food-grade (in the advertised specification) and is not available with 1/2 inch threaded fittings.
I very much hope the pumps will be suitable for home brewing, however there is no guarantee they are, what they are is 1/3 the price of more 'traditional' home-brewing pumps with the same pump specifications.

Edit: Glen W is going to give a gold star to whomever comes up with a catchy name for these pumps, since Chinese 240v Food Grade Magnetic Drive Pump doesn't flow nicely off the tongue.
As I said in PM to the people who missed out on this order, if the pumps work well there are almost certain to be follow-up orders/bulk buys, but if they don't at least you were not one of the guinea-pigs who spent money on these ones. :)

I should have said this in the PM with the Payment details, but (since PayPal login's don't always match AHB user names) please send me a PM when you pay so that I know who's is who's.

AnotherAsh 1x MP-15RM
Ratchie 1x MP-20RM
Gobern 1x MP -15RM
MattC 1 x MP - 15RM - PAID

Waiting List...

Stormahead 1 x MP - 15RM