Bulk Buy 12" Pulley For Millmaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy

Sweet ! I'm looking for a motor at the moment so the timing is perfect. Thanks BYB !

justsomeguy.

Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy

Sweet ! I'm looking for a motor at the moment so the timing is perfect. Thanks BYB !

justsomeguy.

Just a another update. I spoke to APC this morning and the turn around time may still be 2-3 weeks. Hope this sits OK with the guys (and maybe gals) that are ordering. Most likely will confirm order at the end of the week.

Cheers
BYB

Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy
Cortez the Killer
glaab

Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy
Cortez the Killer
glaab
Cannibal Smurf

I had a .37kw motor at 910rpm with a 3" pulley delivered to my front door today by Fastway for $123. Delivered to the Barossa from an Adelaide based company.

Hi BackYardBrewer,

may I ask where / what Adelaide based company?, I'm in Adelaide too and will need one.

Cheers

Amazing, you can have one of these things hanging around for a year, try and get ya head around motorising it up for months on end............... nothing like a bulk buy to kick your butt along and get it happening!!!

Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy
Cortez the Killer
glaab
Cannibal Smurf
Razz
flop

Ok it looks like this thing will be a goer. Now comes the logistic nightmare even though it is a small buy in respect to others. The pulleys will be delivered here to me in the Barossa and then forwarded on to the respective brewer. I will wrap each pulley in bubble wrap. The bubble wrap, I should be able to get from work. With this in mind and with consideration to its size and weight can everyone allow $12 for postage. I made a quick search through Aussie post and $12 should allow express postage in a 3kg bag to most / all places in Australia. If there are any issues with the above let know. The cost for freight to my place is not as steep since the supplier use's an industrial freight company.

Brewers may suggest delivery straight from the supplier but I prefer not. That way I know personally when I get it you get it. I will be in touch by PM with payment details. Hopefully I can receive prompt payment so that the order will continue smoothly. Cut off date will be Friday midday.

For the brewers who live relatively close ( like Adelaide) the freight will be obviously cheaper. With this in mind I may send them via normal parcel post and throw the change in with the parcel.

Cheers
BYB

Could we get a suitable belt thrown in as well???

As you may be aware belts come in ship loads of different lenghts depending on applications. From what I understand the pulley will take a standard "A" section v belt. ATM I don't know myself what length I require or if you do know what you require by all means let me know and see what can be arranged.

BYB

Lay off the belts unless you already have your motor and your grain mill on a table or bench.

If you do have the motor and know where it will be bolted down. Measure the centre of the motor shaft with a tape measure in a straight line to the centre of the MillMaster mill drive shaft.

Pass that on to Luke in your order and he can calculate the size belt you need so long as you also know the size of your wheel for your motor (1 1/4" is the one I got from Luke for my motor which is a 5/8" shaft size). Might need a tiny bit of play room as belts come in standard sizes.

I think the belts were $14 or thereabouts.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Slightly OT + I haven't been paying close attention to optimum mill speed threads for quite a while.... But from memory, the optimum speed was around the 200 rpm mark. This number was for a mill with roller diameters around 1"..... So if you double the roller diameter like the mill master has, shouldn't the optimum speed be more like 100rpm so you have the same velocity at the roller face as a thinner mill?

All these low RPM speeds are for flour mills. There is no published low speed recommendations with anything but anecdotal opinions to back it up for barley cracking, only the common warning that when you spin the rollers too fast the corn will jump off the rollers instead of being pulled through.

Asking Frank at MashMaster optimum RPM speed was a total and complete waste of effort.

I'm a bit curious if others Mills are dodgy milled as well? My rollers are not perfectly in round. When they spin they go in and out by quite a few millimeters. How you are supposed to keep efficiency locked in with this build quality I have no idea. I could have built my own from cement and had a better centered set of rollers.

That said, I went with the flour mill recommendation of nothing above 150 RPM on my design. I might be a hair over by 7 or so RPM but close enough. Once I finish my mill bench I'll be able to put a digital tachometer on the 12" pulley will and get an exact reading of RPM speed to post.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I have finally just finished PMing evryone with payment details. What a task, what with the way the forum is set up. Have had some really quick replies and payments. Great!! Since this is my first bulk buy order.

Just to clarify, the cost will be $45 + $12 postage.Because of the way Aussie Post is set up it works out better value sending them out express. So total cost will be $57 all up with express post. There could be a couple bucks change thrown in with your orders, I will lean a bit more on APC.

BTW can brewers please send me their e-mail address as that will save me time instead of using the forum set-up.

Cheers

BYB

All traveling well in respect to brewers contacting me re-payment.

Not sure if I have overlooked the following three brewers Spog, Flop, and Pumpy in regrads to payment. If so my apologies and can you PM me.

Don't know how the brewers who organise the larger buys do it :unsure: juggling so many e-mails. the AHB shirt buy must have been a bloody nightmare!!

BTW if someone still wants a pulley I have space for three more at least. Provided I have confirmation then payments from every brewer I will place the order Friday morning.

Cheers
Back Yard Brewer :icon_cheers:

Cheers BYB, put me down for 1

Back Yard Brewer
Spog
geoff_tewierik
jlm
Pumpy
Morrie
Skippy
GMK
barls
redb
justsomeguy
Cortez the Killer
glaab
Cannibal Smurf
Razz
flop
Janis
nifty

All traveling well in respect to brewers contacting me re-payment.

Not sure if I have overlooked the following three brewers Spog, Flop, and Pumpy in regrads to payment. If so my apologies and can you PM me.

Don't know how the brewers who organise the larger buys do it :unsure: juggling so many e-mails. the AHB shirt buy must have been a bloody nightmare!!

BTW if someone still wants a pulley I have space for three more at least. Provided I have confirmation then payments from every brewer I will place the order Friday morning.

Cheers
Back Yard Brewer :icon_cheers:
Pick me BYB!

I'll take one.

Cheers,

PB

Back