Building The Bee Hives In Pictures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure about Victoria, I am sure its similar to NSW.
This may have already been answered, but I couldn't find it when scanning the thread.
Have to have a permit in Vic. Got mine last month ($15) and expecting my hives to arrive next week - I'm going the more traditional 'commercial style' that you see around the place.
With my permit I can have up to 10 hives, but I'm just starting small with 2. Will hopefully pick up my 'girls' in late oct / early nov. In vic you must have a permit, big $$ in fines otherwise. Without a number you shouldn't be able to buy bees from breeders (might not stop the more dubious ones tho), and the DPI is able to keep you informed of outbreaks or in my case - upcoming locust spraying.

from what i can gather for Tas, Dept primary industries etc does not require a licence?? at least, i could not find any info on any requirements for keeping bees in the state...

as for local council, mine requires that bees are kept no less than 4m from property boundry and 25m from neighbouring occupied premises. 2 hives per property and then a permit is required.

i just wish i could work out what the state laws require in terms of a licence... i dont wanna go charging ahead to find that i need to jump through hoops, id rather jump first :p

Bit stoked here, my first raid of my honey ! The hive was near full when I got it so raided it then but that wasn't my honey was it!

Honey_001.jpg

Picture does not do justice here, those coffee jars are the big 180mm high ones, and I've given three jars away as well.

Batz

Bit stoked here, my first raid of my honey ! The hive was near full when I got it so raided it then but that wasn't my honey was it!

View attachment 41662

Picture does not do justice here, those coffee jars are the big 180mm high ones, and I've given three jars away as well.

Batz

Wow, that honey looks awesome. What does it taste like?

cheers

grant

Wow, that honey looks awesome. What does it taste like?

cheers

grant

It's fantastic Grant, real bush honey the flavor is unbelievable.

Batz

Okay, digging this thread up cos today was the first day i harvested honey. Got my first swarm towards the end of '10 and another one last november, funnily enough from the same backyard I got the first. A good summer for bees down here, relative warmth and good growth in plants. In the end I harvested about 8kg of honey from 4 1/2 frames. Not a huge amount but it was a hell of a lot fun with the whole family involved. Honey is a pale yellow and taste bloody awesome. Will stick up a pic when it's bottled.

Definately a hobby worth getting into. So long you don't mind the odd sting or two!

Latest posts

Back