Beekeeping-Discussion, pics, tips and tricks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great isn't it! Bee telly is right up there with airlock telly - watching the airlock for bubbles (and occasional kittens) coming out.

TimT said:
Just found out it's 25 m from street or occupied dwelling according to 2014 regs from my local council, limit of one hive.

That's shit Manticle. Some options might be having a rooftop hive (as is popular here in Melbourne, often a pretty good idea) or getting together with a mate and setting it up in their backyard. Many beekeepers tend to have 'backyard' arrangements with friends.
You may be able to get it on your roof and bypass those limits.. check it out

Is everyone else having a great season for honey?

20161128_140623.jpg

Oh man. It's been years since I kept bees and saw that thing of beauty. Thanks. Early spring run. Just magic.

I used to keep 4 or 5 hives in the back yard some years ago but alas developed an allergy to the sting. I should have been more careful not to get stung as much.

Two years ago, and not over my love for bees, I bought a native hive. I recently split the hive with some trepidation but the new hive is thriving. The advantage for me is that they don't sting. The new hive doesn't have a honey box on it and instead has a clear "plastic" top (covered by a removable lid). The grandkids love being able to have a look in the hive.

I like to think that they are doing their bit for our environment. And in their case it's our immediate environment as they usually work within about a 500m radius of home.

The brood photo is the original top brood box while doing the recent split.

IMG_2349.JPG
IMG_4072.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg
IMG_4081.jpeg

Back