Building A Heating Lamp For My Ferm Chamber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
As the weather here in Melbourne starts to cool down and summer is just a distant memory I was going to build a heating source to put in my fermenting fridge.
Ive seen the type where you fit a light globe fitting into a large Milo tin, but whats the advantage of that over simply fitting the light socket to a piece of wood. Or better still using one of those work lights with the guard around them?

Some people were concerned about 'light strike' and the impact it might have on their beer, so they wanted to ensure that none of the light got to the fermentor.

I use an old water-bed heating pad in my fridge, sure a light works, but why not use something that is intended to give out heat? :)

Radiant heat from the lamp isn't that effective over a long distance, cased in a tin/ceramic pot it will heat up the enclosed air better and that will turn to conductive heat.
Also, a cover to keep you from knocking out the lamp.

Im pretty sure you can buy heating red/black lights from the hardware store, my parents used them for raising chickens. I am about to do the same thing, I have large heat lamps for brooding chickens but I think they might be too big?

P5230008.JPGwhat I did - heat from lamps distributed without the light.

well ive been using a timber box and 2 x 100 watt light globes for 10 years with no dramas that kind of light does not affect the beer its the uv you have to watch out for

first of all dont just put a heat pad in the fridge you need a temp control unit to wire it up to do a search for stc1000 there are heaps of people here willing to help you out with thisif you get confused

but sure use a heat pad if you have one its more than likley to be more efficent with the fermenter sitting on top of it but then it depends where you mount your temp control sensor also

another option would be a brew belt thats what im going to use once i get hold of another fridge as i have a belt from years ago

Why do you need heat in a fridge in Melbourne?

Pitch at 20C, close the door. Wait three days and its done.

tnd

Just buy one of the "lap/back" warmer pads from a homewares shop. Same sort of thing as the heat pads in the brew shop though cheaper, and they come with a removable wooly cover.

.....buy it for the missus and just "borrow it" for a few days every fortnight ;)

@ Wolfy..Can you even get a water bed heating pad these days? I thought they didnt sell water beds anymore?

@ Homebrewkid..I have an STC1000 thats what I use to control the temp of the fridge in summer. I was considering a heat belt but have read posts on here from brewers who dont like the idea of the wort getting directly heated in the area the belt wraps around the fermenter.

@ TND...Because in the middle of winter it will drop to 14C within 24 hours even in an insulated fridge. And I leave my brews fermenting for at least 10-14 days as a minimum so the yeast can clean up. I've learnt this from past experience and after following advice on here.

Just buy one of the "lap/back" warmer pads from a homewares shop. Same sort of thing as the heat pads in the brew shop though cheaper, and they come with a removable wooly cover.

.....buy it for the missus and just "borrow it" for a few days every fortnight ;)

Ive only ever seen the type with a gel that you have to microwave to heat up. Can you get them with a built in heating element?

I have a heating belt and it struggles to push the wort past 32C....

fwiw, yeast aren't that intolerant to 32C, and the heat is rather spread out around the ring instead of a heating pad under the yeast cake. Then again, how hot do they get anyway!

I have a heating belt and it struggles to push the wort past 32C....

fwiw, yeast aren't that intolerant to 32C, and the heat is rather spread out around the ring instead of a heating pad under the yeast cake. Then again, how hot do they get anyway!

why are you trying to heat it up so much?

This is my old one.....

I just throw it behind the fermenter.

2012_04_11_21.22.01.jpg

Well going on what PF said I might just get a heat belt as Keg King have them for $19.00 Thanks for the advice..

Judging by the quality of their elements and their lack of support for warranty of the products as documented by QLDKev here on the forum, I will not be buying any more keg king products.

What you end up buying from other shops are so many times just resellers of Keg King.

Your choice, buy it straight from the importer, cheaper, if it fails, it fails. Buy it more expensive from a reseller, if it fails, well, it fails. There are lemons everywhere. Saw Kev's post, pretty annoying when that happens, I've boycotted a couple of stores with such attitudes before, face to face interaction though. A bit difficult to deal the whole thing over email. Fact is, buying from anywhere, there is a good chance its being re-sold and prolly the same manufacturers.

I use a 14 watt heat mat which are designed for reptile enclosures. It can heat up to 35C, but running through my STC1000, it keeps my fermentation fridge at a nice constant temperature.
28x28_heatpad.jpg
$15 off ebay.

Latest posts

Back