Bugger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatt_girth

Reaction score
Yes, as described, I think I might have allowed my fermentor to inhale a very small amount (few ml) of water from the airlock when checking the SG yesty arv. The ferment is almost complete with an alcohol level near 5%. Is there really much reason for concern this late in the process given that there is a reasonable alc % ? My reasoning is that I have been told that dry hopping is of little concern for this reason (as well as the antibacterial qualities of hops).
Anyone able to put my mind at ease? I'd hate to lose a whole batch so near the finish line.
Cheers,
wyatt

I have also had this happen and as i all most all ways use sanitized water i dont worry. As long as you did not use the pond water out the back of the house in you air lock i would think you should be OK

I have also had this happen and as i all most all ways use sanitized water i dont worry. As long as you did not use the pond water out the back of the house in you air lock i would think you should be OK

I use peroxide mix in the airlock but it was a couple of days old so probably only water by the time this happened

It has happened to me a few times, the brew still turned out well.

RDWHAHB

:icon_cheers:
EK

Yes, as described, I think I might have allowed my fermentor to inhale a very small amount (few ml) of water from the airlock when checking the SG yesty arv. The ferment is almost complete with an alcohol level near 5%. Is there really much reason for concern this late in the process given that there is a reasonable alc % ? My reasoning is that I have been told that dry hopping is of little concern for this reason (as well as the antibacterial qualities of hops).
Anyone able to put my mind at ease? I'd hate to lose a whole batch so near the finish line.
Cheers,
wyatt

Yes, I remember it happening to me, I fixed the problem by not using the damn things any more! <_<

Cheers,
BB

I squirt a bit of diluted phosphoric acid in the airlocks. Reckon it should kill any nasties (well, I hope so)

I've heard of a few people using cheap vodka in their airlocks... So if you have any of that lying around it should do the trick

But, i say move away from the lid and airlock, and just go all gladwrap... thats where the money shots are at

Sponge

I don't think twice, I move and jiggle my fermenters all the time, I reckon I've sucked plenty of airlock fluid into nearly every batch I've done, and I don't have a problem with infections

During the primary fermentation there's a constant flow of CO2 passing out through the airlock, so not likely that any bugs could have travelled in the opposite direction into the airlock fluid. Only concern would be if the fermentation had attenuated and no bubbles passing through the airlock for a few days with the possibility of wild yeast, spores etc somehow settling onto the fluid.

I'm in two minds about airlock designs. The "S" shaped 2 chamber design is a very accurate indicator of the stage that the fermentation is at, just by timing the 'bloops'. However if it becomes 'fouled' with yeast from a runaway brew it's difficult to clean properly.

The alternative 'barrel' design with the inner and outer cylinders and the built in 'cap' at the top is perhaps less accurate than the "S" design but is pretty immune to wild yeasts etc getting in the other way and can be taken apart for perfect cleaning.

I used to see some "S" designs with a removable cap fitted to the outlet - are they still available?

But, i say move away from the lid and airlock, and just go all gladwrap... thats where the money shots are at

Sponge

Sounds like a brilliant method, but what about gas production, do you prick a few pinholes in the wrap, or does the CO2 force its way out through the layers or something? Might try that with my next Coopers stout. Should have the added advantage that it acts more like a glass window so you can see what's going on :)

Sponge

My neighbour keeps tellin me the same thing. The main reason I haven't is that my fermenting fridge is a bar fridge with a little freezer box in the top corner that tends to peroidically (on and off with a fridgemate) form a light layer of ice and consequently drips as it melts. I have stuck with the lid to keep this from pooling on the glad wrap and making it's way in. Paranoia? maybe. I use the senior (2 piece) airlock which I usually just loosen when drawing a SG sample. It was just that I did a check in a hurry and didn't loosen this time.

Thanks all for the input. I feel a bit better.

Cheers,
wyatt

During the primary fermentation there's a constant flow of CO2 passing out through the airlock, so not likely that any bugs could have travelled in the opposite direction into the airlock fluid. Only concern would be if the fermentation had attenuated and no bubbles passing through the airlock for a few days with the possibility of wild yeast, spores etc somehow settling onto the fluid.
I figure these spores and yeast will not have anything to consume as the oxygen and sugars have gone now the wort has fermented, hence they wont do any harm.

Happy to hear from someone who has had an infection start after fermentation has finished, i.e. from racking or bottling, and update my knowledge.

My fermenter is only my height away from my head at night [v. small dorm room, closet at end of bed], and the previously glorious bubbling turned sour because it kept me awake. Solution? Bottle caps, washed out hotel milk containers, essentially anything that could be sanitised and upturned to form a reasonable critter-seal.

I've had an imperfection in a fermented brew because it was let sit around and it got lightstruck. It wasn't in my usual place and I hadn't covered it at all, so my bad.

Cheers - boingk

Sounds like a brilliant method, but what about gas production, do you prick a few pinholes in the wrap, or does the CO2 force its way out through the layers or something? Might try that with my next Coopers stout. Should have the added advantage that it acts more like a glass window so you can see what's going on :)

Ive tried putting a pin prick in it to let the CO2 escape, but only ever did that once. every other brew has seen the gladwrap buldge up from the co2, but it always finds a way out. I use one peice of gladwrap, then use an elastic band to keep it down, then another peice on top of that, then another elastic band. No problems yet (fingers crossed)

Sponge

Latest posts

Back