Water quality in plastic fermentor - May have found some important inf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Number 4 LDPE regarded as safe.
Up to about 80C which rules out ever cleaning it with water hotter than your hot tap, HDPE on the other hand stable to ~120C.

BKBrews said:
Glad I found this topic RE: garden hoses. I've been using a cheap shitty hose that I got from masters to fill my grainfather. I can 100% taste a garden hose in the 2 beers I've done. Very annoying!!
Garden hose is PVC also only food safe up to ~70C before degrading. Boiling water through it will buckle the crap out of it and leech crap quick smart.

I use it to fill up my HLT with water starting about 55C water from my hot tap, I've let some of this water cool and tasted and it's been fine.

Up to about 80C which rules out ever cleaning it with water hotter than your hot tap, HDPE on the other hand stable to ~120C.

Garden hose is PVC also only food safe up to ~70C before degrading. Boiling water through it will buckle the crap out of it and leech crap quick smart.

I use it to fill up my HLT with water starting about 55C water from my hot tap, I've let some of this water cool and tasted and it's been fine.
I've never run anything but room temp water through it, but it's definitely imparting some kind of weird flavour. I also didn't think about it properly and didn't run the water that had been sitting in the hose into the garden prior to filling my grainfather - just put it straight in there. Going to put down another Maris Otter/Chinook SMaSH with a few of my water issues sorted out and see how much better I can do.

Back