Bubblegum esters in a lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickB

I haven't had a C**t all night, Drinkstable....
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently brewed a Rice Lager, same recipe as I have done in the past, 80% BB Pale, 20% Flaked Rice, and Dr. Rudi hops to around 25IBU. Tasted great upon kegging, two weeks later, however, still tasting good, BUT I have a distinct (but not overpowering) Bubblegum aroma coming through. Yeast was S-189 and the beer was chilled through a plate chiller, pitched at around 18°C, and dropped to 10°C for ferment.

Fermentation was approximately 2 weeks, crash chilled then kegged.

Any idea on where this would come from? Never had it before in any Lager I've made.

TIA!

Cheers!

Nick,
It may be caused by the pitching at 18 and then dropping it to 10 which may have put a bit of a strain on the yeast but that would depend on how much you pitched.
I find that S 189 throws more of a sulpher note if underpitched or stressed during lag time.

You might try taking the lid off the keg and bubbling some C02 through the beer from the bottom which may drive off the aroma.
You can do it with a beer out QD fitted to the C02 gas line.

If it is more flavour than actually aroma then you probably wont get rid of the bubblegum unfortunately.

Let us know how you go if you try that.

Was two fresh 12g packs Labels. I'll try the CO2 thing this weekend, though I think it has started to dissipate anyway.

Cheers guys

Latest posts

Back