Brown Scum At The Water Level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanR

Reaction score
I have noticed a dark brown clumpy scum just above the water level about 1.5cm, is this yeast and is it good, or should I be mixing my yeast up to a liquid before adding it if so how should I do this ?

Leave it on the sides, it's scum from the krausen (foamy stuff on the top of the beer during fermentation) that doesnt belong in the beer.

Not quite sure on your Question, are you rehydrating your yeast? If so chuck the lot in after a good mixing.

(Or are you referring to the Krausen in the fermentor - if so all is good and progressing well).

A bit more info would be of help.

It looks like yeast that has got stuck to the sides could this be the case

I read somewhere that you can put the packet yeast in a cup with some water then add it to the wort insted of just adding it straight from the packet is this correct

Leave it on the sides, all should be fine. Yes you can rehydrate your yeast, but many folk just chuck it in

Be gentle (somewhat) when you're cleaning it off after bottling. Try not to use anything too abrasive. It's not the easiest thing to clean off.

It's just Krausen, no problem.
It's sticky stuff and sticks to the sides of the fermentor.
As it dies back you will see gunk on the sides. This is a good sign of a healthy ferment.
The rest of the Krausen has dropped through the beer and is sitting on the bottom.

After draining the fermentor, and leaving any yeast cake in the fermentor, you can wipe it off with a soft cloth.

Don't worry, it's a good sign you now have a healthy batch of beer.

BOG

Fill fermenter with water after use and let stand will come off easily

And a good dose of Nappisan or cheapo alternative will eat most of it and the rest will wipe off.

thanks for the help I will just fill the fementer with warm water and let it sit for a while then give it a sanitise reddy for the next batch a coopers draught that should be ready for when it gets hot

I make a very effective cleaner consisting of the following:

3 parts Unscented nappy soaker from Aldi (sodium percarbonate)
1 part cheapest home-brand style dishwasher powder (alkali salts)
a small squeeze of Earth Choice dish detergent (surfactant)

The amount of contact soaking time determines how hot and concentrated I make the mix when adding water.

This will clean your gear very very well and is cheap as chips.
Be warned, if you mix it strong and hot, it will clean the fingerprints off your hands. But it is still pretty safe.

I have noticed a dark brown clumpy scum just above the water level about 1.5cm, is this yeast and is it good, or should I be mixing my yeast up to a liquid before adding it if so how should I do this ?

Unlike what some people have said, you dont need concentrated nitric acid to clean away this 'scum ring'
simply boil some old fashioned water, pour it in your empty fermenter and put the lid on.
leave it for half an hour and you can easily wipe it off with a cloth or sponge.
No chemical residue/reactivity worries :D

I just generally soak my fermenter in hot water overnight (completely full), put it on the garden the next day, wipe with a sponge and rinse and then sanitise. I save chemicals (apart from sanitising chemicals) for when I'm lazy and haven't washed/rinsed after bottling which is rare these days.

Latest posts

Back