Broken Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, catch up sunshine! It's gone on the Tomatoes already!

Cheers

:)

Dont feel bad SWAMBO has broken three of mine and one of BYB's

Sorry to hear you lost a batch, but better safe than sorry.

If it happens again, you can do two quick tests on the metal balls. First the magnet test, as was mentioned earlier. If they stick, they're thankfully not lead. SS isn't magnetic, but I doubt that they'd go to the extra expense of using SS vs iron balls. For the second test, try to squish one of the balls. If you can easily deform/flatten/cut it, it's lead. By "easily" I mean that you can almost cut lead with your fingernail. If not, it's likely steel of some sort.

I also broke one into a batch of beer a long time ago. When I bought a replacement, the shop owner just smiled and said "steel" before I could ask. I guess he got asked that question a lot. ;)

Yeah I did actually try to squash one using a garden implement. However they're so small and while I know lead is one of the most malleable of metals I don't have enough experience of it to know if it should have been effected by what I was doing. I couldn't tell if I'd made anydifference to the surface so maybe they were steel.

Nonetheless it's gone on to better days. I think I have to somehow stuff up one of every variety I make just for learning (or at least I have so far). The next GB will be splendid.

i thoink id probably be more concernbed about the tiny tiny flakes of glass floating round in there.....

CHUCK IT

exactly.

they are made of such thin glass, when they break they shatter into tiny little splinters of glass youre never going to get rid of.

not something i would want inside me.

"they are made of such thin glass, when they break they shatter into tiny little splinters of glass youre never going to get rid of"

A matured bottle decanted trhough a mesh tea strainer would remove any glass particles. It's the lead possibility that had me concerned.

R U UFCKING FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop talking about it, man up and drink it!!!!!!!!!!

or

Just shut up about it

There's no way I'd be drinking it, unless I was Jaws from James Bond :rolleyes:

Did you miss the bit where I said it got thrown away?

It got thrown away.

Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww :( :(

Trust me for not reading the whole post

I wanted to see the blood and guts :angry:

Back