Brisbane Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI. The Brewers Choice Stores at Chapel Hill and Gaythorne have Australian Ales and Pils at $3.50/kg, dropping to $3/kg when you buy 25kgs. Speciality malts range from $4.20 dropping to $3.65 (Munich, Crystal), to about $6.60 dropping to $5.95 for the more expensive ones (Caramalt), depends on the supply price to them. It is uncrushed, but they will crush it on site for you. They both have freshly packed hops in air-tight foil heat sealed bags, stored in fridges. The other stores can get the grain, yeasts and hops in, if sufficient notice is given.

If I owned a HBS i would have some sort of loyalty card. if people wanted to get better prices they purchase more and get more in return. You know buy 25 kg of grain and get 5 for free. I dont know somthing like that.

I'm about to get sack rates on my main grains fron QHB & they will hold for me to take as I wish. I get very good "mates rates" already (never paid more than $2.80 kg for specialty malts & base grain much cheaper) - I'll try & get some firm prices & see if they will do a deal for AHB members... :)

jimmyjack said:
If I owned a HBS i would have some sort of loyalty card. if people wanted to get better prices they purchase more and get more in return. You know buy 25 kg of grain and get 5 for free. I dont know somthing like that.
[post="89489"][/post]​

Brewcraft at chermside has something like this, I think spend $20 get $1 voucher for your next purchase.

Ross, I currently pay 3 dollars for base and I dont know how much for specialty @ Quality. If you could swing that it would solve alot of problems for everyone in Brissy.

jimmyjack said:
Ross, I currently pay 3 dollars for base and I dont know how much for specialty @ Quality. If you could swing that it would solve alot of problems for everyone in Brissy.
[post="89497"][/post]​

And perhaps all of us up here (Although $60 a sack for JW Trad Ale seems to be the cheapest around without a bulk buy). I am mainly concerned with a cheaper source of specialty grains.
Good on you Ross! :super:
Who knows? Maybe this could be an on-going thing competition-wise for all the main Brisbane HBS'.
BTW, where is Quality HB in Brissy?

:beer:

Tidalpete said:
jimmyjack said:
[post="89497"][/post]​

And perhaps all of us up here (Although $60 a sack for JW Trad Ale seems to be the cheapest around without a bulk buy). I am mainly concerned with a cheaper source of specialty grains.
Good on you Ross! :super:
Who knows? Maybe this could be an on-going thing competition-wise for all the main Brisbane HBS'.
BTW, where is Quality HB in Brissy?

[post="89509"][/post]​

Slacks Creek - Underwood.

Just went to the shop at Gaythorne and happy with the service and quality. Good to find someone that has an idea of mashing etc. best on the north side by far.

Was at another shop on the north side and I asked the guy what his thoughts where on a brew I had that fermented out in two days. His suggestion was to check the lid. ok?

matt

Hi all.

I now use Mikes at Beenleigh exclusivly. Well priced, cracks grain when you want it, so it is fresh and sells all in bulk to bring the price right down.

Always frendly helps where ever he can and keeps a large stock.

No afiliation

Regards Derrick

Crazy said:
Hi all.

I now use Mikes at Beenleigh exclusivly. Well priced, cracks grain when you want it, so it is fresh and sells all in bulk to bring the price right down.

Always frendly helps where ever he can and keeps a large stock.

No afiliation

Regards Derrick
[post="89607"][/post]​

Have to agree, he's a top bloke - But his grain prices the last time I was there were rather on the high side - If he's brought them down, then well worth a visit :)

I used to Use Mike at Beenleigh, great little shop. I didnt know he stocked grains. Do you know how much??

jimmyjack said:
I used to Use Mike at Beenleigh, great little shop. I didnt know he stocked grains. Do you know how much??
[post="89615"][/post]​

just checked the packet - bought 500 gms of black malt about 5 months ago - $4 ($8 a kilo)... A tad expensive in my book ;)

just checked the packet - bought 500 gms of black malt about 5 months ago - $4 ($8 a kilo)... A tad expensive in my book ;)
[post="89618"][/post]​

Ross

I usualy buy 25kg for about $45 and then buy the small quantity grains as required. He only charges me per kilo rate even for 100g. (aprox $4/kg) He also asks what I think I will be brewing in the near future when he does his grain order so that I can get it fresh.

He does have a large stock of different grains and I have only managed to stump him once with something he didn't have in stock.

Regards Derrick

Crazy said:
[post="89618"][/post]​

Ross

I usualy buy 25kg for about $45 and then buy the small quantity grains as required. He only charges me per kilo rate even for 100g. (aprox $4/kg) He also asks what I think I will be brewing in the near future when he does his grain order so that I can get it fresh.

He does have a large stock of different grains and I have only managed to stump him once with something he didn't have in stock.

Regards Derrick
[post="89782"][/post]​

Crazy,

Where do you but your sacks from, from Mike?

Chhers Ross

Crazy,

Where do you but your sacks from, from Mike?

Cheers Ross
[post="89788"][/post]​

Ross

Yes Mike but I generaly only buy the basic grains by the 25kg lot as I am making a lot of different beers at the momant.

Derrick

I know that this is (Slightly?) off-topic but as it is a Brissy thread, can anyone going to the Xmas Case at Ross's spare me a couple of empty JW sacks? Would be much appreciated. :)

Tidalpete said:
I know that this is (Slightly?) off-topic but as it is a Brissy thread, can anyone going to the Xmas Case at Ross's spare me a couple of empty JW sacks? Would be much appreciated. :)

[post="89836"][/post]​
Pete

I have some empty sacks but don't think they are JW sacks.
Still want them?

Hoops

Hoops said:
Tidalpete said:

[post="89836"][/post]​
Pete

I have some empty sacks but don't think they are JW sacks.
Still want them?

Hoops
[post="89862"][/post]​

Hey Hoops,

If they have an inner plastic liner & keep out the damp I will grab them thanks mate. You're a star. :super:

Pretty sure they do so I will put them aside.

Hoops

Latest posts

Back