Brisbane Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found the cracked grains that brewcraft are selling in some of the northside shops contain a lot of uncracked grains.

I have been scouting out some grain prices and have found a reasonable offer from Mikes home brew at beenleigh, if you give him a week or so notice he will order the grains you want in bulk, The prices are listed at

http://www.esbeer.com.au/category14_1.htm

Mikes a good dude and if he is competitive I would rather give him the biz.

no affiliation etc....

Ross said:
I'm about to get sack rates on my main grains fron QHB & they will hold for me to take as I wish. I get very good "mates rates" already (never paid more than $2.80 kg for specialty malts & base grain much cheaper) - I'll try & get some firm prices & see if they will do a deal for AHB members... :)
[post="89493"][/post]​

How did this go Ross? Any luck? :huh:

jimmyjack said:
I have been scouting out some grain prices and have found a reasonable offer from Mikes home brew at beenleigh, if you give him a week or so notice he will order the grains you want in bulk, The prices are listed at

http://www.esbeer.com.au/category14_1.htm

Mikes a good dude and if he is competitive I would rather give him the biz.

no affiliation etc....
[post="91479"][/post]​

so Jimmy are you saying that Mike's prices are the same as ESB's? If so this is good new for us. I don't mind paying $50 for a 25 kg bag of pilsner malt.

sluggerdog said:
Ross said:
I'm about to get sack rates on my main grains fron QHB & they will hold for me to take as I wish. I get very good "mates rates" already (never paid more than $2.80 kg for specialty malts & base grain much cheaper) - I'll try & get some firm prices & see if they will do a deal for AHB members... :)
[post="89493"][/post]​

How did this go Ross? Any luck? :huh:
[post="92903"][/post]​

Sluggerdog,

They were waiting on their latest delivery for an update on prices/costs. 20 sacks arrived yesterday, so I'll give 'em a reminder...

so Jimmy are you saying that Mike's prices are the same as ESB's? If so this is good new for us. I don't mind paying $50 for a 25 kg bag of pilsner malt.

Slugger thats exactly what I am saying. He told me his prices were be exactly the same as ESBs. However he cant afford to hold the stock and would prefer to order it as we require it. He has recently taken White labs out of his inventory due to people ordering it and not picking it up. He said he could get it in if paid for in advance though.

JJ

jimmyjack said:

Slugger thats exactly what I am saying. He told me his prices were be exactly the same as ESBs. However he cant afford to hold the stock and would prefer to order it as we require it. He has recently taken White labs out of his inventory due to people ordering it and not picking it up. He said he could get it in if paid for in advance though.

JJ
[post="92910"][/post]​

jimmyjack,

Are you saying he will supply Joe White pale at $48.75 - or is there some freight component as well? I don't understand how he can supply single bags at such a low cost? That's approx $7 over the delivered bulk price to Brizzy. Bloody great if he can though?

Cheers Ross
cheers Ross

Has anyone contacted Mike about that offer he put to me? I havent needed grain but will probably get some next week.

Cheers JJ

I just went to mikes in Beenleigh and he has ordered me

1 x 25kg bag JW Trad Ale $50.00

he was going to charge me 45$ because he had an old print out of the pricing list but i couldnt let him do it. I am pretty happy about getting this price without buying 100 kg of it in bulk :) I asked him if i could put this offer to others in brissy on the forum and he said go for it. So it still remains as stated before prices are the same as listed on Linkster No affiliation just one cheap ass happy customer!

Cheer

jimmyjack said:
I just went to mikes in Beenleigh and he has ordered me

1 x 25kg bag JW Trad Ale $50.00

he was going to charge me 45$ because he had an old print out of the pricing list but i couldnt let him do it. I am pretty happy about getting this price without buying 100 kg of it in bulk :) I asked him if i could put this offer to others in brissy on the forum and he said go for it. So it still remains as stated before prices are the same as listed on Linkster No affiliation just one cheap ass happy customer!

Cheer
[post="94855"][/post]​

Thanks for this jimmyjack, something to keep in mind if stocks get too low before the next brisbane bulk buy :beer:

At prices like this, I think organising a bulk buy in competition will do more harm to the brewing community in terms of future availability of local grain.
Something to consider....

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
At prices like this, I think organising a bulk buy in competition will do more harm to the brewing community in terms of future availability of local grain.

dreamboat
[post="94878"][/post]​

Fair Call Dreamboat and something to think about.

Would be even better if we had a HBS on the northside who could compete with these prices. Think the best over here is around $75. 50% more for the same thing... :beer:

The fact that we have a local HBS readily available and willing to support ag brewing is enough for me to continue to purchase. He told me he does not make much money from bulk grain but welcomes the custom and word of mouth. I also like the fact that he is a one stop shop for everything you need. He keeps a great range of hops and can order any white labs vial you need. Not to many HBS shops in brissy that offer that!! and as dreamboat said it could only benefit us by supporting a local business willing to support us. :beerbang:

Cheers

JJ

dreamboat said:

dreamboat
[post="94878"][/post]​

There is two ways of looking at this.

1. Word will get around the HBS circles that unless they reduce their exhorbitant markup they will miss out on some profits. I know of one HBS who charges $7.00 a kg for base malt as well as specialty malts.

2. If we do not buy grains from our local HBS, they will not bother to carry it.

It is a hard call really what to do. As far as I am concerned I will always buy grains at a price that I consider reasonable in comparison to the general market, taking into consideration the distance I have to travel to get it. Afterall, why should I pay $70.00 for a bag when it is available for $50.00 in another HBS that is a reasonable distance away. I presume, he will still make some profit. HBS is a business afterall, based on supply and demand..
Having said that, I wish my local HBS would carry items that is of some benefit to me. It seems that there is not enough craftbrewers around here to warrant such things like grains, yeast or hops. I have been trying to educate him to no avail, therefore I am on the look out for a shop that caters for my needs. In time he will wake up and will close shop anyhow as he will not make a sale. Maybe, instead of Homebrewe Shops we need Craftbrew shops that caters for beermakers of all descriptions.

cheers,
PeterS.... :chug:

Peter i am guessing but I think I know the shop in question and i gave it away after new ownership. It was ashame to see a once thriving family business turned into a window dressing shop. The previous shop owner had some financial difficulties and reallly had to sell. I too hopped there as it was nearby and convienient. The thing I dont understand is why would you buy a business only to destroy the custom that the previous owner had created. Anyway to our luck there are owners that want your custom and the only down fall is the distance for some brewers.

Jimmyjack.

Is it just full sacks he will match G & G prices, or is he offering smaller lots as well?

cheers Ross

Ross, it looks like he has a freight agreement built into his price and splits supply with another shop here in brissy. He is only offering the prices listed on the esb website. The website does offer 12.5 kg bags but they are more dear around 30 dollars, more economical if you wanted to split a bag or to with a fellow brewer hint hint. I like the fact that basically I can order anything on Esb website and not pay freight. I also ordered some Iodophor and specialty grain in the shipment.

Cheers

JJ

Sorry for reviving this post, but thanks to my experience on saturday at the Chapel Hill store mentioned in this thread thought it relevant seeing that there is another thread elsewhere about HBS.
Seems the bloke running the store has not changed his attitude much, I dropped into the store in the morning hoping to discuss my planned recipes, get some grain cracked and purchase some hops. Well, he seemed loath to discuss my planned recipe and had trouble comprehending the amounts of grain I wanted. He cracked the first lot of grain I was after but before I could ask for the next lot other people entered the store he could not get rid of me quick enough, I didn't get all the grain I was after. He told me to phone my order ahead and he would prepare it in his slack times. Well, that is well and good if you have the oppertunity to phone days in advance. I didn't have the oppertunity to phone ahead and as a paying customer don't want to feel like a pain in the arse because I want some grain cracked in a HOME BREW STORE. I have to drive near 30km to get to this store but for service like that I'm going to drive the extra distance and find some good service from someone who will value my custom.

cheers Browndog

Have u got your suburbs ...shop....mixed up BROWNDOG....

Sure your not living in NOWRA....SAME PROBLEM.....
pj

Latest posts

Back