Brisbane Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry again to revive this old thread, but I want to throw my support behind norm at the gaythorne store. I ordered 15 kilos of grain off him and ended up buying a couple of hundred bucks worth of stuff. I have no problem spending this much money at Norm's store, because it's not just the product you are getting but also his advice and knowledge. I spent about an hour in the store AFTER he'd made the sale and helped me with all sorts of questions. I will continue to support the store as much as possible. THe only slight critisism I could have is that they don't mark the AA content of their hops on the containers. I think this is important as he was a tad unsure of the AA content of some of the hops. this is ok for aroma hops but when you want to use them for bittering you can't be guessing.

otherwise though 9.5 out of 10 and I will be back for sure!!!

sorry again to revive this old thread, but I want to throw my support behind norm at the gaythorne store. I ordered 15 kilos of grain off him and ended up buying a couple of hundred bucks worth of stuff. I have no problem spending this much money at Norm's store, because it's not just the product you are getting but also his advice and knowledge. I spent about an hour in the store AFTER he'd made the sale and helped me with all sorts of questions. I will continue to support the store as much as possible. THe only slight critisism I could have is that they don't mark the AA content of their hops on the containers. I think this is important as he was a tad unsure of the AA content of some of the hops. this is ok for aroma hops but when you want to use them for bittering you can't be guessing.

I couldn't agree more. Norm has helped me probably equal to as much help I have got from this board (and that is a lot).

I suggest getting your hops from Ross (crafterbrewer - fresh is best) and continue with your grain from Norm.

This is what I do.

I couldn't agree more. Norm has helped me probably equal to as much help I have got from this board (and that is a lot).

I suggest getting your hops from Ross (crafterbrewer - fresh is best) and continue with your grain from Norm.

This is what I do.

Having read all the concerns about our shops around town, we have set up a new arrangement for AG brewers that want to buy cheap bulk grain. All the details are in the Retail section of this site, but the short of it is we will be doing 25kg Ale and Pils for $47.50. Others are also relatively cheap. We can do it at this price if the grain is pre-ordered. In store prices have also come down, in an effort to satisfy the concerns raised in this thread. Norm, at Gaythorne is managing the arrangement. Check out the retail section and hopefully you will be happy with what we have done. Happy brewing. Cheers

So what are the chances of getting Norm to crack a couple of 25kg of grain for me if I give him a couple of days notice?!

So what are the chances of getting Norm to crack a couple of 25kg of grain for me if I give him a couple of days notice?!

Planning on doing a lot of brewing in a short time?

I'd give him a call to see if it's possible. They may not have the grain in stock.

Back