Brisbane Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David,

I have to say it is fantastic that you have posted to this topic and are keen to address our concerns. Just the fact that you are on this website means you are keen to learn more about the industry and your customers -and that is a good thing! This site is one of the best Australian resources for brewers and as far as I can tell, most of, if not all the successful brewshop owners frequent this site, and for good reason - it puts them in touch with where their customers are heading.

It is unfortunate that you have first heard of our woes with the Chapel Hill shop, via this forum. I was actually planning to call you to discuss some of these issues, but this topic came up and I couldn't let it pass without a heart-felt reply! In all fairness, I reckon Tony needs to be given a fair go and I personally am willing to persevere for the time being, if he is willing to learn.

Cheers - Snow.

another brissy brewer here keen on a bulk grain order.
i am interested in hops too. Little bags of hop pellets just seem like a waste of time these days. A nice big bag of tettnang or an english ale hop fuggles or goldings whaddya reckon :D

lou

Gah! Their grain mill has died, and so it seems has my plans for brewing tomorrow :-(

Anyone know where i can get a grain mill real quick? :)

Hi all. In response to the interest in melaniodin, we have arranged for 10kgs to be stocked in the Chapel Hill store. A hand grinder will be delivered there tomorrow so if you want some, come and get it. Still in search of a grinder but should resolve that in a day or two. Cheers

Hey David, thanks for taking the time to reply, and for joining australia's best brewing forum.

I'm don't know if Snow passed on my email, but i think he did.

Could i suggest that maybe you create a sign in the store listing all the grain that you have available. I know Snow and myself know what Melanoidin is, but i wonder how many other grain brewers have even heard of it. If you had a board displaying your current selection, i'm sure it would lead to greater sales of the specialty malts.

Also, i spoke to Michael today, and want to order in some White Labs yeast that you normally don't stock - the WLP775 English Cider yeast. He told me to contact you.

Quality Home Brew store at slacks creek is what we've been using for the last year, it's got huge range... it's okay... BUT, we've just found another one on the corner of browns plains road and beaudesert road, browns plains, forget the name.

Smaller shop, but much better pricing and friendly people.

just my 2 cents.

Jase

I don't know if much has improved at Chapel Hill store. I called at 1100 this morning to see if I could get some grain crushed. The answer was "I'll see what I can do, if its not too much." There goes my plans for a double brew.
So I just asked for 4.5 kg of pilsner and I would be in at 4pm. The reply was "I'll do as much as I can."
When I went in there was _2.5kg_ waiting for me!!!!
There was also a different bloke behind the counter. When I said that I really wanted 4.5kg he said OK I'll do it now. 5mins later another 2kg weighed, crushed and bagged. Why couldn't that have happened first time round!
End of rant.

Campbell

Micheal is looking after the store at the moment as Tony broke some ribs or something, and to be fair to him the current mill he has is a real pain to use, but it's better than nothing (i know, i went back and helped him crush some grain for me). Mikes not too bad, willing to have a listen, and willing to help as best he can. He's currently a bit hamstrung i feel due to the mill and the fact that he's only a temp.

I've also spoken to David via email, and am confident that he has the right attitude, and will do everything he can in the new year to satisfy the local home brewers.

BrissyBrew said:
Still awaiting for a good home brew shop in brissy.
[post="89263"][/post]​

where have you tried?

Luckily for me the Brewers Choice in Gaythorne is improving due to Norm running it.
He is a member of BBC so I am affiliated but he is a mash brewer so knows his stuff.
He has been increasing the amount of grains (JW & Weyerman) that he stocks so is good for me when I run out of something on brew day.

Don't know about elsewhere in Brisbane though, unfortunately they have all disappointed me this year.

Hoops

Hoops said:
Luckily for me the Brewers Choice in Gaythorne is improving due to Norm running it.
He is a member of BBC so I am affiliated but he is a mash brewer so knows his stuff.
He has been increasing the amount of grains (JW & Weyerman) that he stocks so is good for me when I run out of something on brew day.

Don't know about elsewhere in Brisbane though, unfortunately they have all disappointed me this year.

Hoops
[post="89375"][/post]​

That's where I go for my grains when I run out. Norm is very obliging & knows his stuff alright. He is good enough to let me know promptly when my (e-mailed) order has arrived & I make a quick trip to Brissy. :super:

:beer:

Hoops said:

Hoops
[post="89375"][/post]​

What prices are his grains Hopps? Could do with somewhere alse when stocks run out on the Southside...

I think specialty grains are about $4/kg. Not sure I was brewing and in a rush :p

I paid $5.50 for a KG of carapils a few weeks go.

I think pilsner malt is $3.50 a kg

sluggerdog said:
I paid $5.50 for a KG of carapils a few weeks go.

I think pilsner malt is $3.50 a kg
[post="89418"][/post]​

As a relatively new All Grainer doing a brew a month I am still using the Powells Ale from Batz's bulk buy. At the time, Brewer's Choice wanted $75 for a 25kg sack ---- Too much. I'm reliably told that a Sunshine Coast HBS will order a 25kg sack of JW Ale for $60 with a week or two's wait.
I am certainly happy with the service in getting the specialty grains I need though.

:beer:

Its not that the local shops are bad, its just that others around the country are so good. I wish we had a Goliath or a Grumpys etc... I am able to get what I need mostly through Quality at Slacks Creek, but when they run out of stuff like JW trad Ale then I am forced to go to other shops like Annerley or Chapel Hill where he doesnt keep hops in the fridge and pre cracks his grain from I dont know when. Dont get me wrong either I think Annerly hbs is a cool little shop but I want a complete one stop shop for my hb needs. It must be frustrating for them as well always throwing out liquid yeast and trying to flog outdated grains. Anyway just my 2 cents.

anyone know what the cost for grains at Quality HB is? For more of the specialty grains? Are they the cheapest in Brisbane? I just ordered 5 kgs from goliath which cost more then the grains in postage however saying this it still ended up be around $4.00 a KG for the grains so that beats $5.50

Latest posts

Back