Brigalow Or Tooheys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently brewed a batch of Brigalow ginger beer and it turned out really well - better than any other brand that I hve tried

When I ran a LHBS in the late 70s Brigalow was the most popular kit range. It produced a bland watery "creamy flavoured" distant relative of beer. When I took up home brewing again in 2008 I tried a tin again, also for old times sake. It still tastes as dreadful as in the 70s.
Brigalow was basically sunk by Coopers when they went into kits that could make a fair approximation to beer as opposed to a distant one.

Interestingly the manager of Brigalow at the time, Grant Sampson, left Brigalow and started up Morgans just down the road at Beenleigh. Coopers now half own them.

Wander used to supply our bulk malt extract that we sold from a big bucket on the counter using a "honey gate" tap. They briefly went into kits but they haven't been around for yonks. Problem with Wander malt extract was that the colour and flavour would vary wildly from batch to batch, I believe their main customers were baking and cake making companies such as Arnotts.

Even so, you could make a good drop with Wander malt extract, some glucose syrup that was also available in bulk back then, POR hop pellets and the UK Edme Yeast, fermented during the QLD Winter.

Back