Brews That Require Glass Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Flibbles

Reaction score
I'm starting my first brew today, and I'm using the recipe off Coopers' website - a Russian Imperial Stout. The recipe calls for a glass bottles as a requirement, but as I don't want to age this for very long (I suspect it will all be drunk within 4 or 5 months), do you really need glass bottles? The recipe is here:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...-imperial-stout

G'Day Flibbles,

The RIS may not be drinkable in 4 months. It is high in alcohol and has alot of darker malts which tend to take time for the flavours to blend and settle. If you don't want to age that long then back off the OG and other darker additions to allow for earlier drinking.

These things are designed to age for years and don't really hit their straps until then.

Up to you mate, You certainly can bottle in plastic and drink young but wont get to enjoy the drink at its best. Also if you age in plastic it will oxidise quicker and go downhill quicker so you never get the opportunity either way to drink the RIS as designed.

Cheers mate.

Thanks, I'm aware of this, but if this recipe works then I'll definitely do it again in glass. This is more of an initial test. Speaking of glass, does anyone know where you can purchase good quality reusable glass 750ml longnecks?

Coopers bottles are excellent. Nice and strong.... and you get to drink the beer!

theres heaps of tally crown tops on ebay. grab a lever bottle capper while ur there.

i would have through an imperial stout is an odd choice for a first brew, each to their own though, good luck :D

theres heaps of tally crown tops on ebay. grab a lever bottle capper while ur there.

i would have through an imperial stout is an odd choice for a first brew, each to their own though, good luck :D

True, but I like my beers strong in alcohol and taste with stout being my #1 favorite. Put those together and you get Russian Imperial or foreign export.

So are the coopers stout longnecks reusable?

yes. make sure when u get longecks/tallie there are crown seal. twist tops work still, but i dont trust the seal the the ridges can break off.

other good ones are old skool xxxx tallies, basically any old skool longneck that has the thicker glass and the crown seal.

seriously though, if your not too fussed about the beer in the bottles when u buy them, just get bottles off ebay. you will more then likely find someone selling heaps of good thick glassed crown seal bottles near you. its alot cheaper. otherwise go out and get boozed and keep the bottles :)

I'm starting my first brew today, and I'm using the recipe off Coopers' website - a Russian Imperial Stout. The recipe calls for a glass bottles as a requirement, but as I don't want to age this for very long (I suspect it will all be drunk within 4 or 5 months), do you really need glass bottles? The recipe is here:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...-imperial-stout

I don't recommend making this beer, got 2 cartons of tallies and after 12months I still can't stand to drink it. :icon_vomit:
it hasn't aged at all, still tastes like it did straight out of the fermenter, no carb at all. Tastes like vegemite and alcohol.

G'day Brewers,

Check out gumtree for old "pick axe" brand bottles. They are very good.

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

I don't recommend making this beer, got 2 cartons of tallies and after 12months I still can't stand to drink it. :icon_vomit:
it hasn't aged at all, still tastes like it did straight out of the fermenter, no carb at all. Tastes like vegemite and alcohol.

Well we shall see. I don't mind heavy malt or the taste of vegemite.

On the topic of bottles could you use screw top empty wine bottles properly sanitized?

My issue would be the lids, would they hold carb for any amount of time? Plus, that's alot of strong stout to smash in one sitting, I would be going for 375ml myself.

My issue would be the lids, would they hold carb for any amount of time? Plus, that's alot of strong stout to smash in one sitting, I would be going for 375ml myself.

I've found some good bottles at Dave's Home Brew. 12 x 640ml packs I'll probably be using. I only really drink stout so 640ml or 750ml isn't that much, no matter how heavy or thick. The bottles are here for anyone else interested:

https://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.php?page...t&Itemid=99

try your local recycling depot, thats where I got most of my bottles, or find someone who drinks beer with a crown seal.

Where are you ..??
I have 8 Doz. Crown Tallies....IN NOWRA...
Cheers
PJ

Sydney City. Thanks for the offer but I think its a bit too far.

I'll look into getting some Coopers longnecks and if not, then I'll fill up with some of those 640ml bottles.

Back