Brews Not Done And I Need It By Saturday?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapone

Reaction score
So continuing on my brew from this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=53012.

So I've got a party on Saturday that I want to have a brew on tap for. Problem is, the Pale Ale I put down the other day isn't quite finished yet, and normally I like to cold condition my kegs for at least a couple of weeks before serving.

My OG was 1.035, and the SG I took today is only 1.012, giving me a beer of ~3% ABV.

Other than being completely flat for obvious reasons, the beer actually smells and tastes alright (and a bit boring, but I wasn't aiming for anything else given the people who will be drinking it at Carlton Draught drinkers).

So the conundrum I have now, is do I let it ferment for a bit longer? Or do I keg it now to give it more time to cold crash?

Whatever I do, I plan on speeding up the cold crash by sitting the keg is a large drinks bucket full of ice, inside of the beer fridge down low (but not too low, I've already ended up with a dodgy eisen-lager before because of that mistake).

Had a quick look at your other thread, guessing you put the brew down 6th or 7th March from what you said there.
Mate if this aint done by now it never will be!
CC for a couple of days, keg and carb Friday, drink Saturday.
Nige

So continuing on my brew from this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=53012.

So I've got a party on Saturday that I want to have a brew on tap for. Problem is, the Pale Ale I put down the other day isn't quite finished yet, and normally I like to cold condition my kegs for at least a couple of weeks before serving.

My OG was 1.035, and the SG I took today is only 1.012, giving me a beer of ~3% ABV.

Other than being completely flat for obvious reasons, the beer actually smells and tastes alright (and a bit boring, but I wasn't aiming for anything else given the people who will be drinking it at Carlton Draught drinkers).

So the conundrum I have now, is do I let it ferment for a bit longer? Or do I keg it now to give it more time to cold crash?

Whatever I do, I plan on speeding up the cold crash by sitting the keg is a large drinks bucket full of ice, inside of the beer fridge down low (but not too low, I've already ended up with a dodgy eisen-lager before because of that mistake).

I had this conundrum at NYE...

I had a pale, could've used a few more days... so I cold-crashed it and kegged it the night before d-day, and then was furiously trying to carb it up on NYE.

Not much of it got drunk, but a few days later it was better, and a few weeks later it was not bad...

Hmmm...

still not sure what to do, but I think an extra day of aging/carbing in the keg might've been worth it in retrospect.

My new philosophy is not to rush the beer ;)

I'm not a kegger, and I haven't done kits for quite a while but my 2c is: Smells and tastes alright = Do it today, don't delay. Better to serve a brew that is possibly under attenuated but fully carbed than one fully attenuated but under carbed, yes? Also if you did start it on the 6th or 7th, it aint getting any lower any way.

Latest posts

Back