Brewing With Spices - Where Do You Get Yours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Grand Bazar in Istanbul.

travel-graphics-200_429665a.jpg

Is this the one you're suggesting Wolfy? Just had a dig around for it.

Truspice Clayton
145, Carinish Road 
Clayton, 
Victoria 3168 
Tel: 03 9544 1634
Opposite CLAYTON Railway Station
Truspice Mitcham
20-22, Station Street 
Mitcham 
Victoria 3132 
Tel: 03 9873 8897

Might have a look. Yeah Gerwurtz was a beautiful looking store with lovely little girls that gift wrap everything - but when all you want to do is stroll a couple of aisles and go "Hey I could brew with that!" I was hoping for a bigger range. Randy handed out roasted wattleseed which he had sourced from Gerwurtz at ANHC, but they sure didnt have it at their Toorak store.

Cheers for the other suggestions guys. Will go through them and get a little spice store shopping list together!
There are at least 3 or 4 very similar shops all near each other in Clayton, including the one you mentioned above.
However don't expect anything up-market, gift like or trendy stuff like wattleseed, we're talking bare metal supermarket shelves, with a large range of fresh spices packed in generic plastic bags.
Here is our stash (would be interesting to compare the prices to what you saw in Toorak)
spices.jpg

According to Google, the place we visit is:
Sarawan Spices & Takeaway
337 Clayton Road, Clayton VIC 3168 (03) 9544 6766

Try most of the asian grocery stores. They're generally well cheaper than supermarket prices, and they stock a far greater range.

That's exactly what I would recommend. i'm fortunate enough to live in an area well populated by muslims so there are lots of middle eastern spices (whole, ground and mixed) available for very little. Asian grocers and indian spice shops are equally as fruitful for this stuff.

2 fat plump vanilla beans for 1.50 at my local middle eastern market rather than the miserly supermarket ones for more than four times the price.

that lemon myrtle someone mentioned ..is that a tree?
I think I have one in my back yard.
When I moved in I found a lemon myrtle tag beneath this tree and the leaves do smell very lemony.
It has a bit of flowering looking buds on it now.
Can I use it ?

been to that grand Bazaar ....want to buy a turkish rug?

that lemon myrtle someone mentioned ..is that a tree?
I think I have one in my back yard.
When I moved in I found a lemon myrtle tag beneath this tree and the leaves do smell very lemony.
It has a bit of flowering looking buds on it now.
Can I use it ?

been to that grand Bazaar ....want to buy a turkish rug?

Head to a bottle-o and try Baron's Lemon Myrtle Witbier. It's not a matter of if you can use it, but if you want to. I find that this beer polarises people. I for my part love it, but it's like Stout - you either love it or don't.

Goomba

Head to a bottle-o and try Baron's Lemon Myrtle Witbier. It's not a matter of if you can use it, but if you want to. I find that this beer polarises people. I for my part love it, but it's like Stout - you either love it or don't.

Goomba

good idea.
cheers.

Back