Brewing With Popcorn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Just got a good deal on a big bag of popcorn and got to thinking if popcorn could be used for brewing. Did a quick search on that search site and did not come up with anything.

Anyone ever used it? I am sure it would be hard to crush so was thinking maybe an air popper?

I know most beer is no good with corn in it but there are a few that require it. Like some of our pre/post prohibition beers.

Yep, popcorn is fine to use as an adjunct... it takes up a hell of a lot of room though. Air popping is the way to go.

I tasted a beer at the BABBs meeting last night that was made with 1kg of corn flakes!! Actually tasted pretty good!

Cheers - Snow

I tasted a beer at the BABBs meeting last night that was made with 1kg of corn flakes!! Actually tasted pretty good!

Cheers - Snow

I'll admit to that one! I've been using polenta in a few brews and it's a bugger to boil up and get to the right temperature to put in the mash, but produces some lovely smooth beers so I was in ALDI and saw that the 500g boxes of cornflakes are only $1.99 and whacked 2 into the mash. The malt ate them all up and the beer has turned out with a nice toasty flavour. Not only that but the niacin thiamine and riboflavin in the flakes maybe did the yeast some good :p Also cornflakes contain malt extract and some sugar so quite in style as an adjunct.

I've seen postings about forum members using popcorn, hot air popped, and they reckon it quickly collapses down into the mash.

The easiest thing to use is flaked maize. Just whack it in the mash.

I've used popcorn with good results. Obviously, it has to be air popped but poppers are fairly cheap and are handy for kid's snacks and parties.

Don't mix it in with the rest of your grain or you'll have a bugger of a time getting it in and settled. If 10% of your grist is pop-corn, it will still account for 90% of the volume. Chuck the corn in first and after a minute of gentle stirring it should dissolve to nothing.

Flaked maize sounds easier, but if popcorn is what you've got then go ahead and use it.

I've used popcorn with good results. Obviously, it has to be air popped but poppers are fairly cheap and are handy for kid's snacks and parties.

Don't mix it in with the rest of your grain or you'll have a bugger of a time getting it in and settled. If 10% of your grist is pop-corn, it will still account for 90% of the volume. Chuck the corn in first and after a minute of gentle stirring it should dissolve to nothing.

Flaked maize sounds easier, but if popcorn is what you've got then go ahead and use it.

And how was your efficiency, if popped corn dissolves to practically nothing I'd think the starches would be much easier to convert by the enzymes in the grain than say using flaked corn that doesn't really disintergrate.
Did you notice any difference in your efficiency?

Andrew

I've tried air popped pop corn in a CAP.

Tasted awesome, but my efficiency was way down. Might have needed to extend the mash time more than i did.

I took me ages to pop all the corn too. I'm about to make another one in a week or two using polenta instead, so will see how that goes.

The easiest thing to use is flaked maize. Just whack it in the mash.

I disagree. Instant polenta. do a small boil. 1part polenta to 5 parts water. boil for 10 misn to turn it to sticky gloop and topoff with room temp water to sacch temps and dump it in wiht your malt. Mash for 90 mins and by the end of it, you will be lucky to find a trace of polenta in your mash.. completly dissolved.

if you find some.. its probably the endosperm traditional 'cous cous' from the barley floating ontop of your mash.

And how was your efficiency, if popped corn dissolves to practically nothing I'd think the starches would be much easier to convert by the enzymes in the grain than say using flaked corn that doesn't really disintergrate.
Did you notice any difference in your efficiency?

Andrew
The last time I used it was still very early in my AG journey and my normal efficiency has improved since then. At the time, it was the best efficiency I had achieved (about 10% up on normal) but I don't know whether I can attribute that to the corn or the steep learning curve which I was on.

Instant polenta.

Hi Fourstar,
What instant stuff do you use.
When I was looking for the polenta i'm going to use and they only had instant stuff at Coles. But it was just a big ball of yellow goop. Looked at the ingredients and didn't like what it said.
I ended up getting some polenta in a bag from foodland that looked the goods. May have been the same stuff you're talking about, but was actual grains and didn't have salt etc in it.

Wasn't cheap though.

Cheers,
Al

Edit: I think the stuff i got is branded "Lowan"

what exactly would popcorn and polenta add to a beer?

what exactly would popcorn and polenta add to a beer?

From How to brew
Flaked Corn (Maize) Flaked corn is a common adjunct in British bitters and milds and used to be used extensively in American light lager (although today corn grits are more common). Properly used, corn will lighten the color and body of the beer without overpowering the flavor. Use 0.5-2 lb. per 5 gal batch. Corn must be mashed with base malt.

I do reckon it adds some of it's own characteristics to the beer too, but having only used it once, i'm not sure.
It did have massive head retention too.

Cheers,
Al

I ended up getting some polenta in a bag from foodland that looked the goods. May have been the same stuff you're talking about, but was actual grains and didn't have salt etc in it.
Wasn't cheap though.

Edit: I think the stuff i got is branded "Lowan"

yeah that expensive stuff is Bull$hit. goto your lcoal asian grocer.. they will have kilo bags ranging in cost from $1.50-$3.50 for a kilo. Even if it isnt instant polenta, for what we are using it for it will do the same thing. I think the instant is just presteamsed so it breaks down faster. The loaf stuff you woudl ahve seen is precooked polenta like allot fo the italians eat it.

You slice bits off and fry it. my mate whos italian loves it that way.... me, i hate it. It has to be soft and gloopy like mash potato with lots of butter and seasoning. with a big fat lamb shank on it!

back on topic.

Ususally the non instant stuff takes 1/2hour to cook for consumption.. its no longer gritty. the instant is usually done in 2 minutes. therefore fo we cook the bejeebus out of it it will resemble pureed yellow rice pudding. this is how we want it.

The only downside is if its slightly gritty it may not completly convert or it will gum up your mash tun like those loafs of polenta you saw in the supermarket! :lol: I got away without rice gulls or a protien rest. if i was in a rush and had to dump direct to the mashtun after a short boil/rehydrate of the corn. i'd go a 15-20min protien with a 90min mash.

Cheers!

Awesome, cheers for that info Fourstar. I knew there had to be a cheaper way to buy polenta. Will definitely be going to the asian grocer in the future.

I reckon I'll just get the polenta cranking while I'm heating my water and getting my S hit together, so I'm not too worried if it takes a half hour or so to boil up.

I've read that freashness is important with corn, so I was kinda worried about the supermarket stuff being on the shelf for ages. Dunno if this is a problem though, but will find out soon enough.

I don't think I'll worry about the protein or rice gulls (didn't think to get them) either.

Cheers,
Al

Awesome, cheers for that info Fourstar. I knew there had to be a cheaper way to buy polenta. Will definitely be going to the asian grocer in the future.

I reckon I'll just get the polenta cranking while I'm heating my water and getting my S hit together, so I'm not too worried if it takes a half hour or so to boil up.

I've read that freashness is important with corn, so I was kinda worried about the supermarket stuff being on the shelf for ages. Dunno if this is a problem though, but will find out soon enough.

I don't think I'll worry about the protein or rice gulls (didn't think to get them) either.

Cheers,
Al

Hi Mate

Try gaganis, they should have polenta for a few bucks per kilo.

Latest posts

Back