Brewing With New Toy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I had my first brew session with this bad boy and it did not disappoint. It took longer to recirc to get clear wort but once it was clear it was crystal clear.

IMG_1106.JPG

Cheers,

JJ

How does the FB compare to your old one?

Im hoping to score a similar FB soon :)

It takes a little to get used to. It drains very quick and lets more husk particles through when it is wide open. I learned to recirc slower to set the grain bed and then I was able to open it up more. It also created a vacuum effect and slowed to a trickle. I had to pull the hose out of the wort to get flow. I also had to recirc longer then my old set up as I was getting alot of material coming through. However I did gain about 5% efficiency. I also got more volume into the kettle and will have to change my settings accordingly. I cant wait to get a HERMS heat exchanger as this FB will be perfect.

Cheers,

Jim

How much did the Blichmann set you back? Are you happy with it?

I am considering one myself, but it seems a little dear for my blood. Not to mention I have to get the rest of the gear as well.

I got the 10 Gallon 38 Liter version and I paid $600 bucks for it with false bottom. It is just one of those things. I know I could of probably got a cheaper solution but with all of the goodies like the dip tube and level gauge I believe it is value for money when you add up all of the bits and pieces. The thing is a joy to clean! I really like the dip tube it just snaps out manually with your hands. The level gauge is pretty handy too. I did not keep heat as well as a cooler but then I did not expect it to. I hit it with heat every 30 minutes and then covered it with a snow jacket. I am going to convert to HERMS anyway but I was pretty surprised at how much heat it was able to hold. If you plan on getting the 38 liter version plan on mashing thin as the thermo was pretty high. All in all I love it! I walk into the garage and just stare at the damn thing.

Cheers,

Jim

lol at the staring. I would too if I had one sitting in the garage.

I am wondering if I bought an electric element and a thermostat, would that get me 90% of the way toward doing my first mash. I extract atm.

Jim

Looks Great I would loev an Urn and a Blichmann mash Tun

How many litres is the Urn ?

Are you happy with it

So the Mash tun come s with the Temp gauge ball valves FB & sight gague

Is the Temp Gague in OK position ?

pumpy :)

Shiny mmmmmmmm ^_^
I wish my set up was as pretty.
My crown urn is 40L
Do they make them any bigger?

matti

Looks Great I would loev an Urn and a Blichmann mash Tun

How many litres is the Urn ?

Are you happy with it

So the Mash tun come s with the Temp gauge ball valves FB & sight gague

Is the Temp Gague in OK position ?

The Urn is 40 liters and has helped speed up my brewing day. I fill it to the brim once and pretty much use every bit of water.
B Boilermaker, you get a 3 piece ball valve, sight gauge, a square piece off SS to put under it if applying direct heat, Blichmann adjustable thermometer and snap in dip tube all included as standard. I had to pay $115 extra for the FB but it was worth every penny.

My crown urn is 40L
Do they make them any bigger?

Matti I think the Crown Urn only come bigger in element size and not volume.

Cheers,

Jim

Latest posts

Back