Brewing Tubing as used for kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterlonz

Reaction score
I feel pretty stupid having to ask about this....................
I have recently felt that I should be thoroughly cleaning my "just emptied" kegs & this can bew a bit time consuming one at a time, but OTOH they clean up rather easily.
So I decided to try a jug of boiling water swished around should displace the gunk & allow a relatively clean keg to then be available. Of course I would then need to blow the very hot water through the long dip tube By pressurising the keg.
I had formerly done this with CO2 but that's not so easy with all my gear set up elsewhere.
So I will try compressed air, I have a compressor!

Now the awkward bit, the "Nitto" quick connects on my compressor outlets appear to suit PU tube with an ID of 6mm to fit over a 7mm OD barb.

In fact the PU tube has an ID of only about 4.7 mm.
The though bore size in the metal quick connect is only 3.5mm.
So it looks like there is a good deal of heat & force employed to get this set up.
The brewers tubing I have (which I thought was pretty much standard) is 8mm OD and 4.5 mm ID.
I then discover the barbs on my ball lock fittings for the keg are also 7mm OD (actually 7.2).

So it looks to me as though I should be using brewers tube with a 6 mm ID which would suit both the kegs & the compressor.

I'm sure some of you will be rolling about laughing but I'd appreciate some constructive guidance.
BTW I think my dispensing tap suits 8 mm OD tube, unsure about the ID.

Thanks

#1 If you simply undo the beer out post with a spanner you can remove the dip tube and just run boiling water through it. I do it religiously for every brew.
Also you can get long skinny brushes on a wire that will do the job, available from some bike stores for the professional water delivery systems for long distance riders who suck on a thingo while riding(don't have a link).

edit: camelbak make them

bike brush.jpg

#2 Pour a kettle of boiling water into the keg, quickly fit the lid, shake the keg, then press the beer out poppet with a screwdriver or sharp bit of a spanner head - wear a glove preferably - and get a spectacular hot water gusher.

Bribie G said:
#2 Pour a kettle of boiling water into the keg, quickly fit the lid, shake the keg, then press the beer out poppet with a screwdriver or sharp bit of a spanner head - wear a glove preferably - and get a spectacular hot water gusher.
or a QD with or without hose/line attached.. at least that way the water is directed away from you

SBOB said:
or a QD with or without hose/line attached.. at least that way the water is directed away from you
Nice finesse

G'day peterlonz
I use this, all you need to do is give the air a squirt and put your thumb over the gas in.
You don't need much pressure.

image.jpg

Back