Brewing System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I have finally decided to step up to AG brewing.

I have read about a HERMS SYSTEM brewing setup........about $4,500.

Any comments on this type of system?

Cheers,

I have finally decided to step up to AG brewing.

I have read about a HERMS SYSTEM brewing setup........about $4,500.

Any comments on this type of system?

Cheers,

What sort of brewing are you doing now?

I moved to AG not long ago but:

Big dollars does not mean you are going to make fantastic beer.
AG = better beer, yes, but it is experience that makes great beer.

Have a look over this AG for Thirty Bucks before you spend $4500. This is a GREAT article. Do small 9ltr batches to gain experience, improve your knowledge and if you screw one up...you lose little.

At least you will find out if it for you before throwing away big dollars.

Just my opinion..

YB.

Here are the links to the Ultimate Brewing Systems :)

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7001

http://beerbelly.com.au/turnkey.html

For the past 10 months I've been making the kit beers such as Coopers and other brands as per instructions on the can with some enhancers such as Coopers 1 & 2. Nothing too fancy. After reading the forums here, I decided to go all the way for a better beer.

I have thought about making my own equipment. Got a 20 litre urn for the hot water. Got a big esky for the mash. Got a 50 litre vessel ready to be cut down and converted to a boiler. Got 3 rolls x 18 metres each of 1/2" copper pipe for cooling the wort. Taps and fittings are at Bunnings. (The copper rolls from Bunnings @ $50 per 18 metre roll compared to $110 from the plumbing shop).

I am just too lazy to pull my finger out and put it all together. Although it will do the same job, it won't look as fancy as the professional kit.

So far I have made 25 brews this year. Each 23 litre brew gives me 2 1/2 cartons. I save on average $45 per brew.

That's $1125 I've saved by not going to the bottle shop this year.

4 years at this rate and the 'you beaut mickey mouse system' will have paid for itself. When I retire next year, I'll have more time to drink and make more than 25 brews. That'll make it less than 4 years to pay for itself. As I also make a bit of 'shine, the savings will bring the time down to about 2 years........Maybe less.

Sounds good in theory........but the initial outlay will be painful :)

Might try and make it myself and use the savings towards a 'newer' car (1981 up).

Cheers,

BIAB (Brew in a bag) in a 40L urn, and a cube for no-chill. Setup <$500 and if you decide to go three vessel for some insane reason, you'll still have a hot liquor tun.

Nothing wrong with the beers and the system is a tad quicker and less labour intensive than 3v.

<dons modesty suit>

no_chill_cube__Medium_.jpg

<hangs modesty suit up>

Those systems you have linked to are top notch without a doubt, but...

If for some insane reason you might go a single vessel system then you could spend a lot less dollars as BribieG has pointed out. Or, If you want to go a three vessel system you could build a system that still will come in well under a grand depending on how resourceful you are. as you have pointed out, you already have the gear to get you started with a gravity 3V system that you could in time build up. Yes maybe not as much bling, but made by yourself. I am starting to build version 3 of my system and still would be under the 500 dollar mark.

BribieG, no need for the modesty suit, you are that man already.

Cheers
Gavo.

The quality of beer is directly proportional to the cost of the brewing gear.

That's why Carlton and Tooheys produce the world's best beer. :lol:

So far I have made 25 brews this year. Each 23 litre brew gives me 2 1/2 cartons. I save on average $45 per brew.

That's $1125 I've saved by not going to the bottle shop this year.

Good figures to know those ones! At that rate like you said after 4 years it wouldve paid for itself!

Exciting times when you decide to cross to the dark side!!!!! ;)

Good luck with whichever direction you go into AG.... :icon_cheers:

I think its still important to do the hard work on anything these days before you take the easy way... ;)

You still need to understand the process's with certain things, if you dont understand why X does this, some expensive machine wont work it out for you.... :unsure:

:icon_cheers: CB

Good figures to know those ones! At that rate like you said after 4 years it wouldve paid for itself!

Exciting times when you decide to cross to the dark side!!!!! ;)

Good luck with whichever direction you go into AG.... :icon_cheers:

So if he pulls his finger out and brews just over 11,000 brews, then lets see,

11,000 X $45.00=$495.000. Wow almost half a million $ you could have your mortgage payed plus a trip to Vegas.

Keep brewing man.

BIAB (Brew in a bag) in a 40L urn, and a cube for no-chill. Setup <$500 and if you decide to go three vessel for some insane reason, you'll still have a hot liquor tun.

Nothing wrong with the beers and the system is a tad quicker and less labour intensive than 3v.

<dons modesty suit>

View attachment 34257

<hangs modesty suit up>

Bribie I thought better of you! now take those blinkers off. :lol:

<dons modesty suit>

View attachment 34257

<hangs modesty suit up>
I love this post

i brewed more to play with temp control etc ( as i went through uni) - ( wait was that drink through uni?)

it shows the beer = the brewer

Braumeister is basically BIAB without the bag but with a mesh cylinder instead. Very similar one pot system. AFAIK the original BIAB idea was an attempt to do what the Braumeister does using locally available equipment. If Thirsty Boy, Spillsmostofit or Pistol Patch are reading this they may concur.

Edit: on further examination of the procedure it differs from 'normal' BIAB in that it has a recirculation device (similar to the rotating sparge arm that can be bought for the UK BruHeat system) which enables stepped mashing. This can, however, be done with BIAB by partially raising bag and applying heat (I easily did a protein rest with my one and only Bo Pils using BIAB).

Also the Braumeister suggests cooling wort as quickly as possible but offers no specific method, nochill would be good
When hoisting the malt pipe = bag it looks like there's a frame that holds it up to drain. Hmmm now I'm thinking................

And a separate fermenting vessel is needed. Mate if I win Lotto on Sat. I'll buy a couple :icon_cheers:

Edit edit;

So when is Beerbelly going to do a 'malt pipe' that fits exactly into a Birko or Crown, with heavy duty lifting lugs ......................................... :) :)

I also see that the "malt pipe" has solid sides, so the bottom is presumably the only perforated surface, thus building up a grain bed on raising it, and thus the RIMS capability.

I reckon BeerBelly could piss in one of those no problems.

Back