Brewing System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead right Zwickel
I brought an 8 Litre urn with a thermostat (it holds 10 L if you dont let it boil), bring the water up to about 80oC, when you lift the malt pipe at the end of mashing, it sits on top of the pot to drain, I just pour the hot water on top of the grain bed and let it percolate down.

Fairly happy with 80% brewhouse efficiency, I could go chasing another couple of percent but dont think its worth the hassle.
MHB

Okay, MHB has answered already the most of the questions.

Just some comments:

of course sparging is possible. Just hang up the malt pipe in the upper position and sparge.
Anaway, your question about efficiency is justifiable, most of users I know complain a little bit a low efficiency, but thats all what theyre complaining about, either of them loves hes Speidel.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Dead right Zwickel
I brought an 8 Litre urn with a thermostat (it holds 10 L if you dont let it boil), bring the water up to about 80oC, when you lift the malt pipe at the end of mashing, it sits on top of the pot to drain, I just pour the hot water on top of the grain bed and let it percolate down.

Fairly happy with 80% brewhouse efficiency, I could go chasing another couple of percent but dont think its worth the hassle.
MHB

Thats really good, and a great compact brewing rig :beer:

Screwy

Screwy, the basic idea behind the Speidel is doing a full volume mash, that means basically not to sparge. Otherwise there would be a little bit too much grain in the malt pipe and the recirc. pump would have difficulties to pump the wort through.
Since the malt is very cheap over here, one may ignore a low efficiency.
That would make the brewday simpler.
Other hand, if youre going to sparge, youd end up with more than the nominal volume.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Since the malt is very cheap over here, one may ignore a low efficiency.

Lucky buggers, grumble mumble.

HA HA just noticed this in your sig :lol:

In XXXX Veritas

More like Bullshit :lol: In XXXX non credo

There goes the kid' :icon_chickcheers: s inheritance
I am retired and need a new hobby that includes a great beer
Cheers

Damn wish I'd never read this thread, I'm off to BigW on Wednesday with a tape measure and see what pots they have that I could turn into a malt pipe for my urn and figure out how to work a March Pump into the setup :eek: :eek:

For inspiration, here a selfmade "Braumeister" with hop feeder:
Fascinating stuff Zwickel, many thanks!

I suspect that I won't be the only one enrolling in German classes any day now!

:icon_cheers:

For inspiration, here a selfmade "Braumeister" with hop feeder:

http://www.hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name...12&tid=4639

pics say more than thausend words

:beer:

Put this into Google and select [ Translate this page ] from the first result

site:http://www.hobbybrauer.de/ Thema: Die Viertel-Quadratmeter-Brauerei ... mit Einkocher, Umwlzung, Malztopf und Computer

EDIT: Google may take a few secs to return the page from the translation (no your computer has not crashed)

QldKev

Awesome, it was technology like that that, that sank the Lusitania with just one torpedo

:eek: :eek:

:p

It's interesting to see that the malt pipe doesn't completely fill the 'jacket' so I suppose there's wort sitting in that space, however I expect it all gets recirculated around and shouldn't lead to serious loss of efficiency.

It's not all about the "malt pipe".

The Braumeister also allows progammable stepped mash, and is much more automated than most home setups.

I have brewed on the rig at the lhbs and made quite a reasonable beer for the Bitter & Twisted event.

Need to make an appointment to brew again soon. Keen to try a simple APA for Summer drinking.

Latest posts

Back